Canik

l.cutler

I have been rather intrigued lately by the Canik line of pistols, but I don't see much about them here. Anyone have one? Likes, dislikes? I am looking pretty closely at the TP9DA. Thanks for any insight.

44caliberkid

I have a TP9SFx and I love it. In the winter when I’m limited to indoor shooting, it’s my main master blaster. Never had a failure to feed, fire and eject. The trigger is great. They come with lots of extras. Plus, I got mine on sale at Fleet and Farm for $449 right at the start of the pandemic, when the gun supply had dried up.

PSP

I have two, a TP9sfx and a TP9SC elite, that have proven to be top notch. No problems what-so-ever. I rank the smaller SC model nearly as good as my HK P2000SK, and that's saying a lot. I've put thousands of rounds through both, certainly enough to give them a good test.

l.cutler

Thanks, haven't really heard a bad thing about them yet. I have always liked DA/SA and the TP9DA is intriguing to me. I think I'll just have to give it a try!

Last edited:

triplebike

Have the TP9 ELITE SC, TP9 SFX and MELE SFX. All have been outstanding! Excellent trigger, super reliable and accurate. Very well made Walther clone. Turkish handguns just keep getting better and better.

wbw

I had a TP9SFX which I loved but recently put on consignment because I picked up Canik's latest offering, the SFX Rival. What a sweet pistol. I thought that the trigger in the TP9SFX was pretty darn good, but the Rival trigger is even a little better. I did a direct dryfire comparison between the Rival and my CZ P07 which is hammer fired. I would tend to think that most any hammer fired triggers would be better than a striker fired trigger. When I did the comparison I was using the CZ cocked so it was in single action mode. I preferred the Rival's trigger. Now don't bother telling me that I need to experience a 1911 trigger. I know that most 1911s will have a superior trigger. But we're not talking about 1911s here. And of course my evaluation of the Rival being superior is purely subjective. And the OP is looking for opinions.

I've had it out twice now with 50 rounds through it each time. Not a lot of use, but no failures so far, and none with the prior TP9SFX. I shoot it more accurately than I do my CZ or my Shield Plus PC which is my carry pistol. I have not compared it with my SIG X-Carry Legion yet. I have a feeling that they will be very comparable in my hands even though the Legion cost $300 more.

I think the Caniks are fantastic pistols, and not just for the money. I think they are worth more than they sell for.

Go play with one in a store or shoot one if you get a chance. I think you'll like them.

JKP

I have a TP9SFX. I really like this gun. Great trigger, very accurate and very light recoil. My other 9mm pistols are all compact or sub compact so the full size frame and 5" (I think) barrel makes for eazy shooting. My only complaints are a tight chamber (I have to make my reloads a shorter OAL) and availability of extra magazines. I bought 2 Walther 18 round mags and had to slightly modify them to function. A great gun for the price.

Last edited:

l.cutler

Well, I picked up a TP9DA. I've only run a few magazines of range ammo through it but so far, I really like it. Now, run it for reliability with some different kinds of ammo, get comfortable with it, then if I still like it begin the transition from my Glock!

Sigkid79

I came extremely close to picking up a TP9 Elite SC as all the reviews I’ve read and watched gave it raving reviews. Arrived at my LGS and asked to see it. It’s as a bit heavier and wider than I anticipated. This matters as I was buying it as a concealed EDC. Ended up going with a Glock 43x instead as it felt better in my hand, in addition to it being 6oz lighter and nearly .05” slimmer.

I may pick one up on the near future regardless as it is a very intriguing firearm.

dgludwig

There is a nice write-up of the Canik METE SFx in this month's American Rifleman magazine. It seems clear that the pistol brings a ton of value to the table when comparing it to others of its type; researcher B. Gil Horman concluding that METE SFx is "ready to race and priced to sell".

wild cat mccane

The Mete is a step up on the current SFX. Strangely, it is priced at $430 if you look around which seems to be below the current non mete sfx. They made some significant changes to the bulk of the grip on the mete model. I bet dealers are trying to get out of the current SFx inventory as the Mete takes over. There is a SFx 2 coming at some point too. That has been known for over a year, but still nothing. It's possible the Rival will become it without the Walther copied Dynamic trigger. Who knows.

The Rival has a 5" barrel to meet some gun game requirements where the SFx is too long. It is at $630. It has the new grip as the the mete, both are improved from the current sfx.

If you are stuck on the TP9DA, the true comparison is with the Walther P99AS. It doesn't look like we've had a shipment of those for over a year though. The P99AS is significantly smaller all around vs the TP9DA in feel. It will feel significantly more so in your hand. However, is that worth the cost different to you and can you get the P99AS anymore. If not, there is no other SA/DA decocking striker like it.

If you can stand not to have the Walther copied Dynamic trigger in the Rival and can tolerate the Mete .25" longer barrel...man, the mete SFx at $430 is one of the better current deals out there.

Again, Canik copied the Walther sear house. The current PDP is about $550

wild cat mccane

To correct above. A hammer fired 1911 and a hammer fired other aren't the same.

A striker has the potential to always be better than a hammer. Strikers don't have hammer "camming"

RickB

A shooting buddy has one, I've handled it, and watched him shoot it (yesterday).
He was having a lot of feed issues, and if he racked the slide only enough to allow the offending round to drop out of the ejection port, the striker mechanism didn't reset, so he'd have to enthusiastically rack out a chambered round to get the gun back in action.
He seemed to think the gun "didn't like" his handloads, which work in his other 9mm pistols, and some experimentation with cartridge length is in order.
Just watching was rather frustrating.

Siggy-06

I'm not knocking Canik or anything, but when the price starts going above $500, why settle for a P99 clone from a Turkish company when you could just buy a P99. Now the other pistols in their line like the Tp9sf Elite priced below $400 is a good deal. I remeber when canik started importing their guns here and they were getting great reviews because they were selling for under $300 and were reliable shooters. Canik has been around for a while now, but there have been gun companies overseas that have abruptly shut down and stopped support to their products. Just a cautionary consideration. I would like to rent a Rival to try if one ever showed up at the range near me.

wild cat mccane

100% agree and have said that always. The fit, finish, and feel is better in the Walther.

That said, The P99 hasn't had a shipment to the US in over a year now. I've been looking for a new one each day and not going to buy a Earl's imported one.