Canik TP9SF Elite vs Beretta APX Centurion

Siggy-06

Looking to purchase another poly 9mm, and need some opinions on these 2 particular pistols: Canik TP9SF Elite and the Beretta APX Centurion. Capacity is the same: 15 rounds. Weight is also close to each other. Price on either is $300ish new. Will mostly be used as a range toy and back up for the house.

FrankenMauser

I have not fired either of those exact models.
However, I've put a couple hundred rounds, combined, through an APX and a TP9SFx -- including running them side by side once (see 390 yard comment below).

I prefer the Beretta. It feels better made. It fits my hands better. The grip inserts are more comfortable.
But, since the grip shape is changed on both of the models you're looking at, I'd have to base my opinion purely on mechanics. There, again, it's the Beretta. It just feels like a better tool.

The APX that I spent some time with is also the only bone-stock 9mm that I've seen half a dozen different people, with different backgrounds and abilities, repeatedly make good hits with at 390 yards (full size IPSC steel target). -- It started as a joke, but quickly snowballed into everyone wanting to run a few magazines through it, once they started noticing the hits the rest of us were making.

I don't think the TP9s are bad, at all. But my own preference goes the other way.

I actually have the TP9SFx in my possession right now, though I do not own it. I need to sight it in after stuck screw removal and red dot install.
I would be procrastinating less if it was an APX.

HistoryJunky

Take my opinion as you will. I have handled both pistols but shot neither.

I prefer the HK/Walther style slide lock/release because I have small hands and short fingers. The Canik has that.

The APX feels good in hand too, and if I had normal sized hands I wouldn't be opposed to that either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JMag1

Taking the pistol only, I’d lean for the Beretta. Adding in the Turks and geopolitical opinion, I’d jump on the Beretta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FrankenMauser

"390 yards"

Educate me.
The guy that built the range was not the smartest man. He built the berms and access roads before he considered where targets and target stands would be, or even whether or not what he was doing was going to be safe.
End result: Max achievable distance on the range - without shooting across an access road that was blind to the firing line - was 390 yards, which is where he put a full-size IPSC target.

marvin02

I have put about a thousand rounds through my Canik TP9SF Elite and I really love it. Great trigger, mine has about a 4 1/2 lb pull. I've never shot the Beretta.

tahunua001

I do not own the Elite but I have owned 3 canik TP9 line handguns.

the SF really improved on the original TP9 design, and has created a gun that I will likely part with only in extreme circumstances. with that said, two of the 3 had issues out of the box. I don't recall the problem with the TP9 as it was years ago, but the SFX had issues with the slide not locking back on the last round. the elites had a few problems early on in production but I haven't heard much news lately, mostly since I'm not on these boards that often anymore.

the beretta on the other hand is one I have also toyed with but never felt the need to purchase or seriously consider. they're pretty ugly, but I like ugly babies. if they are the same price I would probably go with the Beretta just because I've heard less negatives, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out you get more free goodies like holsters and such with the canik. with Beretta you're lucky if they come with a second magazine.