Can you turn a Marlin Guide Gun into a Scout Rifle?

dairycreek

I would like to mount an IER scope on my Guide Gun and am looking for suggestions as to how to do it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your comments.

cheygriz

Sure you can. But why on God's green earth would you want to????:confused:

The Guide is a fine reifle, as is, even better with a ghost ring sight.:D

hammer365

just look at it this way yes you can but is it worth the money to do it and or are you willing to spend the money to do it.

Edward429451

It already is a scout rifle of sorts. Put a peep sight on it and go.

Or is it the forward mounted scope that defines scout rifle for you?:confused:

FirstFreedom

IIRC, a scout rifle is not NECESSARILY a bolt action, according to the originator, Col. Cooper. But as a practical matter, for all intents & purposes, a levergun doesn't make weight in any standard config, so a scout rifle (all but) must be a bolt action, without severe modification (lightening cuts or special design of lever or other action). The repeating capability of the levergun does meet the general requirement. But it's the tube mag and hefty receiver that keeps it from making weight. But you're correct of course in saying that a forward-mounted scope does not a scout rifle make. It's one of several features of the scout rifle concept. In any event, I prefer standard scope placement on any rifle which has a scope. But neither a forward mount, nor a peep rear setup, nor a see-through combo of the two are bad things. To each his own. I kinda like the forward mount for a short-range big-bore like .45-70 or .444 marlin. For a .30-30, I'd prefer a traditional scope placement, if scoped.

Question: Do those pictures of leverguns on that XS website, which have both the forward low-mounted scope (non-see-through mounting), AND a ghost ring rear:
-contemplate that the scope dials down to 1x so that you use them co-witnessing, or
-just for show (i.e. a BUIS only)

Wildalaska

I'm with FF in his analysis of the scout concept. We can get a bolt scout rifle dwon to 4 1/4 pounds, but lever guns will alwys hover around 6.

FF, you cant co witness a lever rifle with a Leupold or a Burris Scout scope. If anyone cares I'll toss an EOTECH on one and see if it co witnesses, I suspect not.

Wildloves325scoutboltsAlaska

tINY

My bad, I thought that it had to be a bolt-action.

I do remember that a magazine cut-off is one of the requirements. That would be hard in anything other than a turn-bolt or a straight-pull.

-tINY

Edward429451

Well, we don't have to absolutely adhere to a given set of criteria to have a scout riflish (?) setup, do we? People put together M4gery's every day and they will do 99% of the true M4 setup.

So the levers run a little heavy for the Cooper Commandments of Scout. So what? They'd still do the job of being light & handy & powerful, and with what? 1000 bucks or more savings?

New Definition!

ScoutforgeryRifle: Fills the same niche at a seriously reduced cost, even though not absolutely true to the original definition.

Eh?:D

dairycreek

Some explanation might help. It is my seventy year old eyes that are the problem. I have a Williams peep sight on my 45/70 Guide Gun and that doggone front sight is getting harder to find all the time. I thought that a forward mounted IER scope would be helpful - hence my choice of words "Scourt Gun"! So that's where I am coming from. Some of your suggestions have already been quite helpful. Keep 'em coming as I need (and appreciate) all the help I can get.:)

stillborn

I think the Guide Gun,... or even the lowly .30-30 would make a fine scout rifle. You would just be a different kind of scout, no 300+ yard shots. Which if I was in a SHTF cituation I would do anyway.

still

Edward429451

I have a Williams peep sight on my 45/70 Guide Gun and that doggone front sight is getting harder to find all the time.

People talk good about firesights, maybe they would help. I've thought about adding one of those myself.

Jim Watson

If you look back at the old catalogs, the original Redfield Front-IER scope was made for forward mounting on a lever action; they had a base cut to clear the barrel band on a Winchester 94 carbine. Jeff Cooper picked up the glass for the Scout Rifle, which by his definition is not heavier than 3 kilograms and not over a metre long, with magazine cutoff and backup iron sights.