can you tell me whats wrong with this shot

Mossy500

i just got my new reloader so i decided, before i bought any powder and wads and all that id take apart a few types of my shells and look at the setup before o shoot it. I opened the kent fasteel 3"steel shell first and everything looks good. but when i opened the Son of Hevi shot 3" steel shell there was this fine plastic like powder mixed in with the mis-shapen deformed shot and 4 clear plastic balls slightly bigger than the shot.

the first pic is the good Kent shot
2nd pic is the Hevi Shot with that plastic powder
3rd pic is the deformed hevi shot

is any of this stuff with the hevi shot normal, or is it just bad manufacturing and filler

Attachments

• Kent fasteel.jpg
    Kent fasteel.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Hevi steel.jpg
    Hevi steel.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 199
  • deformed hevishot.jpg
    deformed hevishot.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 205

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Hevishot always looks like excrement. It shoots fine, thus astounding lots of us.

Don't worry about it....

johnbt

"4 clear plastic balls slightly bigger than the shot"

I'd be frowning, but I suppose if you bought the shot by the pound the plastic balls didn't cost you much.

JT

zippy13

Sorry, BigJim, I thought most folks were acquainted with the concept of buffering shotshells with plastic. Thanks for providing the link.

Johnbt, yep, I'd be surprised to find my sack of shot already buffered, too. But, if I understood the OP, he got his samples by opening loaded shells.

johnbt

But if the payload was listed at, say, 1 1/8th ounces per shell, well those little plastic balls weighed something and I when I buy Hevi-Shot or some fancy-named ammo they charge me an arm and a leg for it.

Anyway, I still don't know why there were 4 plastic balls at all.

John