Can you tell a lot about a person from what pistol they shoot?

Saab1911

You know how pets resemble their owners, and how other drivers perceive BMW
drivers as being type A?

So, there seems to be a feeling that one can tell a lot about a person from
the friends they keep, from the pets they have or from what they drive (or
ride).

Is that true with handguns? Can you tell a lot about a person from what they
shoot?

For example, someone who shoots revolvers is a no nonsense type of person who
is not easily swayed by trends and abides by the notion, "If it ain't broke,
don't fix it".

A 1911 aficionado, me included may be ex-Military or retired Marine (because
there's no such thing as ex-Marine) who may be a traditionalist and shoots
45 ACP because they don't make 46 ACP and may be a little set in his ways.

A Sig aficionado may be a police officer. He carries a Sig at work and have
grown to trust it. Loyalty is important to this personality type.

Glock shooters ... perhaps a mixed bag.

CZ shooters are the type that like to find a diamond in the rough and may
be in a sense a diamond in the rough themselves, perhaps with varying
degrees of roughness and diamond-ness.

Is there some truth to this train of thought? Can you tell a lot about a person
from what firearm they prefer?

Cheers,

Jae

easyG

Is there some truth to this train of thought? Can you tell a lot about a person
from what firearm they prefer?
Probably not.

But just for fun....

For example, someone who shoots revolvers might be someone who is intimidated by modern devices and unconfident in his ability to operate them.

A 1911 aficionado might be someone who is heavily influenced by gun magazine writers or someone who is a military wannabe, and while he has never served, he has seen "Full Metal Jacket", "Platoon", and "Hamburger Hill" 10,000 times each!

A Glock shooter might be a thug or gangbanger wannabe....he might have 10" rims on his holster!
Spinnin' and spinnin' :D

jjyergler

Interesting theory.

I carry a Sig, and loyalty is extremely important to me, so you hit that on the head. Although I am an Army vet (infantry), I never used a Baretta or 1911 much, so I never built a loyalty to either of those.

HKFan9

What could we say about Playboy Penguin then.......:)

I know guns and alcohol don't mix but I kind of think of it like alcohol.

You got bottom shelf - I wont name any to make anyone upset because this is personal bias.

Mid-shelf - Glocks, Ruger (semi autos), S&W Semi's, ect.

Top Shelf - Sig, HK, 1911's, Ruger revolvers, SW revolvers ect.

These are just a personal hierarchy. The only differences between mid shelf and top shelf in my mind is maybe a little better fit, finish, slightly better accuracy ect. Both get the job done, but top shelf might look better while doing it.

Than you get "special reserves" like Ed Browns, Wilson Combats, stuff like that.

So now all of you can flame be about putting Glock in mid shelf, but I did stating it does the same job as the top shelf, but it tells me that the avid shooters who use them know what they need and don't waste money on extra bells n whistles and I commend them on that.

nate45

A 1911 aficionado, me included may be ex-Military or retired Marine (because
there's no such thing as ex-Marine) who may be a traditionalist and shoots
45 ACP because they don't make 46 ACP and may be a little set in his ways.

Maybe, that describes me ex-military, I love the long successful history of the .45 ACP and my ideas about how to fight with a handgun haven't changed much in the last 20 years or so. I seriously don't think it is over blown hyperbole, when I say that I wield a 1911, like a samurai wields his sword. I'm not married to the 1911 though and can use other platforms as well. But if all I was allowed to carry was a full size 1911 and a j-frame snub for back-up, I think I'd be ok.:)

jjyergler

HKFan, you've done it now. Your dissing of Gaston's perfection will summon the Dark Power, He Who Should Remain Nameless, the Prince of Polymer: Glockeroo. I wonder what his loyalty to the Glock says about him.

44 AMP

Staff
So what do you say about someone who has.....

A couple dozen handguns, from .22 Lugers to out of production magnum autopistols? S&W N frames and Ruger Blackhawks? Contenders with 10 barrels and 4 grips, scopes and irons, a Colt, a Sig, Walther, and misc, others, and will NOT own a Glock? And has no desire for anyone else's plastic either, although some are not all that bad.

What does that tell you ? Oh sage one?

bigjack59

I think Penquin has something there...but a team of professionals may be able to help him. However, he may be right on with this thread too.

I love 1911's, and I am retired Army. I also love SW revolvers because they are simple and reliable. The 1911 is simple and reliable too, if it is what you cut your teeth on.

I guess this means I am simple and old. F'ing great.:mad:

nate45

44 Amp

Thats a really good point, my guess is those of us with large and eclectic handgun collections are best described as, sophisticated connoisseurs of fine weaponry. :D

kolob10

"The gun explains the Man"

Wow! I must be a paranoid schitzophrenic (SP). I own and carry a Glock 23, SIG 229 in 40 S&W, and Kimber 1911 in 45 ACP & 10MM. I like them all and shoot them all. My preferrence is 45 ACP in a Commander frame. If you gotta make a hole - then make a big one! Good shooting!

Archie

In contrast to Laytonj1, with respect...

I have something over twenty handguns these days. However, I carry only one or two types for a total of about three different handguns for personal defense.

Whereas a person with only one gun may have to 'settle' for what he (she) has, most of us have traded or sold off guns and have an example of what we really prefer. (Or are working toward it.)

Yes, I believe one can tell a great deal about a person from the pistol they carry the most. For the moment, I will pass on recording my observations; I've filled my quota of offensiveness for today. As a further note, I would say being able to examine that handgun would tell even more than the type and caliber.

Axion

I don't think it's that simple. A glock, H&K, SIG, or 1911 shooter could all be:

a) A raging fanboy who pollutes message boards with threads about how (insert brand here) is the best.

b) A normal shooter who has found that a certain gun works well for them.

Without more info you wouldn't know the difference. Unless they are a couple of Scottsdale dorks holding a rented Glock sideways and posing for pics at the shooting range (I saw this last weekend:barf:). Then you know they are just dip*****.

Elvishead

Saab1911, You nailed it pretty good.

Mostly what I noticed is, older people have older guns, younger people have newer models, and main stream guns, lots of 9mm.

Hardly any revos.

People from Europe rent submachine guns and 44mag revos. And they sell them weak 44mag loads for high $$$$, usually weak reloads. LOL

I bought some hotter 44mag loads, and after the shoot there 20 or 50 rounds I give them one of my hotter 44mag loads and they get freaked out, and disappointed they couldn't get them at that range. Kind of makes them feel like they've been duked. "Them darn Americans!" :D

Citizen Carrier

Kind of a mix. Sometimes what they are shooting tells me something about them, sometimes it is more about how they are shooting.

When I see somebody in their 20s shooting a chrome-plated Desert Eagle in .50 AE, I can probably make a few Sherlockian deductions.

He's probably impulsive (but so am I). He has not yet progressed from the "guns as neat gadgets to possess" phase to the "just how do I make that consistently good shot" phase in his life.

He didn't buy the gun to fill a specific niche, as most of my gun purchases are these days. He didn't buy it to hunt and he didn't buy it for protection against Bears. There aren't any in Ohio.

I use the .50 AE guy as an example because I saw this guy last summer at an outdoor range. I also deduced that he was getting a lot more practice in clearing jams than I'll ever have because the gun wouldn't go a whole magazine without a stoppage.

I concur about older people and older guns. Even when I was younger, I had a preference for classics. It took me a long, long time to get anything made primarily out of plastic or aluminum. Because of my tastes, I usually get the older shooters stopping by my bench to look at the Winchester M70 National Match rifle, Miletech M1903 Springfield, Garand or other milsurp.

At my outdoor range, AR15s and AK clones don't draw crowds.

Saab1911

A couple dozen handguns, from .22 Lugers to out of production magnum autopistols? S&W N frames and Ruger Blackhawks? Contenders with 10 barrels and 4 grips, scopes and irons, a Colt, a Sig, Walther, and misc, others, and will NOT own a Glock? And has no desire for anyone else's plastic either, although some are not all that bad.

What does that tell you ? Oh sage one?

Maybe you're someone who enjoys the finers things in life. You don't
particularly care about a label that goes on a product as long as it is good.

All things being equal, you like the tried and true products, and with
regards to food, you don't like highly processed food that just fills your
stomach and has no flavor.

And you probably drive a big car. I'm sensing ... an SUV.

:cool:

Oh by the way, that secret you've been keeping. She knows. She's known
it all along.

Wait ... I'm picking up something else, something you're clinging to. You're not
letting go ... hmm ... I wonder what it is. Let me see ... Oooohhhh ... The less
said about that the better. I will tell no one.

Last edited:

kristop64089

So where would I fit in?
I have at least one of each, maybe multiples...does that mean I'm Schizophrenic?:eek:

(I do see your point tho)

Kreyzhorse

I know guns and alcohol don't mix but I kind of think of it like alcohol.

Nice comparison. I've found that as I've got older my choices in both both alcohol and firearms have gotten better.

The first gun I bought? A used Glock. My other weapon of choice, bud light or cheap vodka or maybe some whiskey.

My favorite gun now? My Springfield TRP 1911. My other weapons of choice: various micro brews and big ales along with Grey Goose or Single Malt Scotch.