Can you shoot a 22LR in a 22Mag Wheelgun?

Colokeb

The length of a 22 Mag cartridge is somewhat less then the revolver chamber in my Taurus 22 Mag.... if it was more, the wheel wouldn't spin. And therefore, a plain old 22 LR would also be less, and both enter the barrel after being fired.

So is it safe to put Long Rifles thru this revolver? Don't they both just go down the pipe?

If it is safe, it would make practice a lot more economical!

Glenn E. Meyer

Bad idea - the rounds usually split. This has been discussed before if you search.

The basic suggestion will be to get a gun with two cylinders you can swap out. These are more expensive and harder to find.

bluetopper

Don't quote me on this and I really shouldn't post if I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 22mag has a larger diameter case is the reason its not recommended to shoot both in the mag cylinder.

SPUSCG

i waswondering, do you need to be 21 to buy 22lr, since it can be usedin hanguns, or is it still considered rifle ammo?

CraigC

The .22LR, being a very old cartridge, uses an outside lubed, heeled bullet like many of the first centerfire cartridges of the late 1800's. The case is simply crimped over a small "heel" at the base of the bullet and is the same diameter as the bullet. The .22Mag is a more modern design, where the bullet is seated down inside the case (referred to as "inside lubed" if it utilized cast bullets). So, to have a similar bullet diameter, the case must be larger in diameter. Long story short, .22LR cases will bulge and split in a Magnum chamber.

skeeter1

I you really want a lower-powered round in a .22Mag, you CAN use the .22WRF in the .22Mag, since they both have the same .25" case diameter That is if you can find them -- very uncommon. Because of their scarcity, I have a feeling they would cost even more that the magnums.

MikeyConti

i waswondering, do you need to be 21 to buy 22lr, since it can be usedin hanguns, or is it still considered rifle ammo?

You should be able to, my brother was under 21 when he bought a .40 Cal carbine, So when he went to buy ammo for it he would just say it was for a rifle.

If the gun dealer would refuse I would bring the rifle in and show him. Idk if that would work but its worth a try.

alfred

Never ever!

Yes you can shoot many of the wrong size shells in many firearms.You can also wedge them down in the barrel.You can also kill or injure yourself or others by doing so!All modern firearms are marked by law as to the correct cartridge or shell for the firearm.Most manufactures will send to you or have the instructions for your firearm on line.

I ain't Dead and I Ain't Quitting.alfred

s4s4u

If it is safe, it would make practice a lot more economical!

What good is "practice" if you can't hit your target?!?!?!? If you did get a strike on the rim of the 22LR the freebore would inhibit accuracy to say the least. Not a good idea!

Kreyzhorse

The basic suggestion will be to get a gun with two cylinders you can swap out. These are more expensive and harder to find.

I had a Ruger Single Six with interchangeable 22lr and 22mag cylinders. Not sure if they still make those or not but worth a look.