Can you shoot 38 S&W ammo in this gun?

DG45

Can a WWII era Smith & Wesson revolver that was originally manufactured in 38 S&W caliber but then later converted to 38 Special still safely shoot 38 S&W ammo?

RamSlammer

Depends on how it was converted. If the chambers were just reamed longer to accept the added length of .38 SPL ammo, but kept at the same dimension, then yes, you should be able to shoot .38 S&W. (In fact, it's probably best that you do.)

If a new cylinder was fitted with .38 special chambers, then they'll be too narrow to accept .38 S&W cartridges which are slightly fatter.

If both a cylinder and barrel were added in .38 spl/.357" barrel, then you have a dedicated .38 special only.

Last edited:

woad_yurt

I had a converted one and, with .38 shorts, groups were huge and all over the place. The throat edge caught lead, too, big-time. Seeing as .38 S&W ammo costs a lot more than .38 SPL, why do you want to shoot the shorts anyway? Just curious.

DG45

I don't, woad yurt. I just wanted to know because I was reading another guys thread and he had a 38 S&W that had been converted to 38 Special and everybody was advising him that these conversions from 38 S&W to 38 Special were never good and would damage the gun because 38 Special ammo was of too small a diameter for the gun. It sort of got to sounding like the guy had a couple of pounds of useless iron so I just asked whether it could still use 38 S&W but got no answer for half a day. I figured the thread was dying out, so I opened a new one to ask the same question. Thanks for the answer.

Archie

It should be safe to shoot

Those .38 S&W revolvers were essentially a Military & Police fitted with a .38 S&W cylinder. Most were 'converted' to .38 Special simply by, as Ram Slammer correctly mentioned, reaming out the front end of the chambers to allow a .38 Special cartridge to fully enter. However, because - as already mentioned - the S&W round is wider at the base, usually Special cases get bulged at the base. In extremis, they split.

However, the basic cylinder is pretty much identical to the same era .38 Special cylinder in terms of size, material and treatment. Unless the 'conversion' was seriously botched, the cylinder should be suitable for .38 Special regular loads. As Ram Slammer said, the chambers should still allow the wider S&W round to be loaded. However, as Woad Yurt pointed out, this conversion sometimes had the side effect of altering the cylinder to barrel alignment and fouling up the accuracy potential.

All those revolvers that were converted in such manner are 'ruined' as far as collectors are concerned.

Ralph2

The 38 S&W barrel is slightly larger IIRC. So if the cylinder was changed or altered, the accuracy is not up to par. I would also imagine that it shoots on the dirty side and a good loss of velocity is tossed in for good measure. It might shoot fine with hollow base wad cutters but probably marginal with jacketed rounds.

Plus I don't think I'd want to give it a steady workout with modern loads in 38 special anyway.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Those guns were not made for .38 Special +P or +P+, but otherwise any .38 Special or .38 S&W load should be OK. The barrel difference (if any) will not matter significantly.

Jim

Doug Bowser

I have owned several of he S&W M&P .38 S&W revolvers. I reloaded for them. I always used .357" Hollow based wadcutters and had very good results. A converted to .38 Spl version of this revolver had better accuracy with .38 Spl cases and HBWC than .38 S&W cases used in the longer chamber. I have never seen a British used M&P .38 S&W revolver converted to .38 spl by changing the cylinder.

I also had a 4" S&W top break revolver in .38 S&W. The HBWC loads were very accurate out to 20 yards , even in this older revolver.

Doug

Boone... you have a P.M.

anyone out there has nickel 38 S&W cases ( not special ) I reload this cartridge, & do a mild & a lil hotter load... I put the hotter load in nickel cases, of which I have a limited supply

darkgael

also

Remember, also, that, despite the fact that the two cartridges are labelled ".38", they are not the same caliber.
.38 S&W = .361"
.38 S&W Special = .357".
So...depending on which one the barrel is for.......accuracy can be iffy if you are shooting .357s down a .361 bore.
Pete