Can You Over Heat Cylinder?

MPP1423

In Heating The Clinder On A 58 To Remove Stuck Nipples,can You Over Heat It?mike,you Are Aware Of My Problem With These Dern Nipples!well,i Finally Got Them All Out With Some Help From A Buddy But We Really Had To Throw The Heat To The Cylinders.do You Think Its Possible To Over Heat Them With A Tourch,which Is What We Used.i Had 4 Cylinders And All Had Stuck Nipples.in My Defense These Were Bought Second Hand So The Damage Was Already Done Before I Got Them.on My Stainless 58 I Put A Little Bit Of Choke Tube Lube On The Threads And I Have Never Had A Problem.but They All Are Out Now And I Just Have To Buy New Ones Now.i Just Hope We Didnt Get These Cylinders Too Hot And Cause Any Unseen Damage Like The Metal Being Weak In These Areas Where We Heated Them.

Remington kid

Kevin, Really don't believe that you hurt them unless you used a blow torch and turned it red hot. The steel in these guns is really soft and that's a good thing when you have to heat it. Most gunsmiths recommend that you case harden the trigger and the hammer because it is so soft.. If it turns in the gun without any problems then I would load some light loads in it , say about 15g. of your 777 and see what happens.Then work up 5g at a time to check it.Clean the cylinders real well before moving up on the grains and inspect it each time.
I have always used lock ease on my nipples (graphite) and have not had any problems. About twice a year or so I remove eveything on the gun and clean up the nipples with steel wool on top and on the sides. When doing a quick cleaning between shooting times I used windex and a tooth brush on the cylinders and nipples, blow it all out after swabing the cylinders and then use WD-40 on everything and blow it out again. Dry the inside of the cylinders with a patch and q-tips and use a pipe cleaner to dry the inside of the nipple.Hold the cylinder up to the light and make sure all holes are clean.
After I put it all back togeather I give it a light coat WD-40 and then grease my cylinder pin , star , rammer and a little grease around the inside of the frame where the cylinder sits.
This all takes about 30 minutes per gun for a complete cleaning like that. For my normal cleaning it takes about 15 minutes.

Remington kid

Kevin, Really don't believe that you hurt them unless you used a blow torch and turned it red hot. The steel in these guns is really soft and that's a good thing when you have to heat it. Most gunsmiths recommend that you case harden the trigger and the hammer because it is so soft.. If it turns in the gun without any problems then I would load some light loads in it , say about 15g. of your 777 and see what happens.Then work up 5g at a time to check it.Clean the cylinders real well before moving up on the grains and inspect it each time.
I have always used lock ease on my nipples (graphite) and have not had any problems. About twice a year or so I remove eveything on the gun and clean up the nipples with steel wool on top and on the sides. When doing a quick cleaning between shooting times I used windex and a tooth brush on the cylinders and nipples, blow it all out after swabing the cylinders and then use WD-40 on everything and blow it out again. Dry the inside of the cylinders with a patch and q-tips and use a pipe cleaner to dry the inside of the nipple.Hold the cylinder up to the light and make sure all holes are clean.
After I put it all back togeather I give it a light coat WD-40 and then grease my cylinder pin , star , rammer and a little grease around the inside of the frame where the cylinder sits.
This all takes about 30 minutes per gun for a complete cleaning like that. For my normal cleaning it takes about 15 minutes.

MPP1423

Got It Mike.well We Got It Pretty Hot With A Small Torch But Not Really Cherry Red.they Look Ok But There Is Some Discoloration From The Heat And Thats What Concerned Me But I Guess That My Be Normal When Heating.im Just Glad We Got All Of Those Dern Nipples Out And Now I Can Replace Them And Never Have This Problem Again.

Remington kid

Kevin, It really doesn't sound like you hurt them at all but just to be safe use small loads at first and then work back up to your .40g load. I really don't believe you will have a problem. If anything you made have made them a little harder.
What nipples are you going to use??

MPP1423

the nipples i use are by ampco.they are suppose to stronger and foul less.they are about 3 bucks a peice though.they also have a smaller flash hole which is suppose to make a hotter ignition.

Remington kid

Never heard of thet nipple but they sound like good ones to me. The small hole also helps control blow back of the caps when we are useing the heavy loads we like.

MPP1423

mike,they are called treso nipples by ampco.go to thunder-ridge muzzleloading parts and check them out.also the possible shop has them.i have bought from both.

Remington kid

Yep, that's the best in my openion. I never heard them called ampco and that's what thru me.See I'm not to old to learn new things after all!:)