Can you dry-fire a Ruger SP101??

:D Traded a 22 mag rifle + $$ for a new .327 mag. That darn thing finally got me! The gun store had .327 mag ammo so I got a couple of boxes just for grins. Ordered Redding dies and 32 H&R Mag brass (backordered) and some XTP bullets. Can't wait to get going with this little sweet heart.

My question is this: Can the Ruger SP101 be dry fired without snap caps? I read in a thread here on the FL that it is ok to dry fire, but thought I should check it out before hammering away.

shredder4286

ya bro- if your weapon is a centerfire- which your .327 federal is, when you fire the weapon without a cartridge in the cylinder- the firing pin extrudes and hits nothing, as opposed to hitting the primer. Some people seem to think they need snap caps to control the "unrestricted movement" of the firing pin, but I find it to be paranoia. I've dry fired several semi-autos and my ruger sp101 in .357 1,000s of times, and they all function perfectly.

Smaug

Congratulations on the purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, especially when you're reloading for it and not getting shafted so badly. ;)

Question: Why'd you order H&R brass? Is Fed Mag brass not available yet? With the bigger brass, you can always download it; that's what I do with my 44 Mag and 357 Mag.

SP-101s are true classics. That 6th shot will make it pretty fun.

I only hope you don't miss the 22 Mag too much. That is a darned useful rifle chambering.

Smaug

Oh, by the way, I've dry-fired my SP-101 hundreds, if not thousands of times.

I also polished the internal friction parts and installed the lighter Wolff springs. (mainspring and trigger return spring) Add the CTC, and it was done. Here's some eye candy to tide you over until you get to the range. Maybe you've been already?

96e2335d.jpg

950b3c06.jpg

4b20aa7b.jpg

seed

I use snap caps in mine. Why not? It's not like a striker fired semi-auto where you have to rack the slide before each shot and eject the snap cap if you do so fully. It will not disrupt your dry-fire practice in the slightest and it may give you peace of mind...it does for me.

giaquir

My Ruger SP101 was a bit rough (trigger)
when I got it yrs ago.

Lot's of nights while watching tv
much to my wifes dismay ,I dry fired
it thousands of times

Sweet, smooth action now

seeker_two

Yep....if you're worried about it, just use the little yellow ring that came with the gun as a "snap cap"...if you didn't get one, just ask any local gun store or gunsmith...they probably have a few they'll give you for free....

Slopemeno

Even the .22's is fine. Ruger had an exhibit at one of the NRA shows in the mid sixties where they had a Single Six in a machine that dry fired it hundreds of thousands of times during the show with no damage. The SP 101, while a different gun, still uses the style of transfer bar, firing pin, and bushing to prevent the firing pin from making contact with the edge of the chamber.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, Seed,

If you do use snap caps that way, just cut away part of the rim so the extractor doesn't catch it. At the end of the dry firing session, you will have to either pry out the snap cap or use a rod from the muzzle, but that is no problem compared to having to continually replace the snap cap.

Hi, Slopemeno,

The transfer bar has nothing to do with keeping the firing pin from hitting the edge of the chamber; that is strictly a matter of the firing pin length and protrusion. Ruger designs all its firearms to be dry fired thousands of times without any problems.

Jim

GP100man

Easier & faster to disassemble & do the IBOK to it, plus no wear on the cyl notches & latch.

If ya dry fire do so slowly so the cyl notches & latch is`nt beat up !

Thanks for all the comments!

When dryfiring the 44 mag 629 I always use snap caps. One of those things that sticks with ya, I guess. Last Ruger handgun I owned was a Mark II. That was one sweet little gun. It has been over 30 years, so this is over due!

The reason for the H&R Mag brass is because 327 Fed is so hard to get, and in the interest of not waiting too long (it is supposed to be shipped from Midwsay in 3 weeks) I went ahead and ordered H&R. When the Federal brass is available I will get some of that, for sure.

Altmont sells some little wooden inserts for the grips, and that would dress the piece up some, while still using the original grips that most owners seem to really like.

Can't wait! I have always thought a good 32 caliber handgun would be outstanding, if it was just horsey enough to use for anything besides plinking and targets. This little dude oughta do that just fine.

Smaug---nice pic's! Do you like the Crimson Trace laser grips?

Thanks for the nice words!

Roger:D

Genepix

I had the gunsmith change out the springs and polish the internals and I added the Altamont pearl grips- smooth action and great shooting now.:cool:

Attachments

• newgrips.jpg
    newgrips.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 175