Can you change cylinders in a sp101 to shoot 357 and 9mm

mrt949

Is it possible to buy a 9mm cylinder and use it in a pistol chambered for 357.
I have a SP101 IN 357 MAG

JohnKSa

Administrator
Just so it's clear, I'm not claiming to have done any research on this answer. This is mostly off the top of my head.

1. I have a hard time believing it will be easy to find a 9mm SP101 cylinder. Ruger never really sold them although there may have been a time when you could send an SP101 to Ruger and have them fit one. I suspect if you do find one, it will be pretty expensive.

2. If you find one, it might work or it might not. Sometimes (often?) fitting is required and it's not a super-easy process. If you need it fitted, you'd have to find a decent gunsmith to do it for you and insure that your original .357Mag cylinder still works too.

Possible? Yes.

Maybe not easy or practical.

Let's see what other input you get.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I found a .357 cylinder for $75.
$230 to Pinnacle and you are all set for 9mm.
Yes, that's probably a much easier/cheaper approach. You can get a .357Mag cylinder and have it modified to chamber 9mm with moonclips.

1911_Hardball

Yes, that's probably a much easier/cheaper approach. You can get a .357Mag cylinder and have it modified to chamber 9mm with moonclips.
Considering the difference in head diameter of the 9mm and the .357 (SAAMI specs of 9.93mm & 9.63mm respectively) I don't see that being a very good idea. The fact that the 9mm is a tapered case may be problematic as well.

1911_Hardball

Well, perhaps. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting .357 in a cylinder with charge holes that over bored. Seems like it would be awfully hard on brass as well.

Jim Watson

I would consider it a conversion not a convertible. Pinnacle says:

"My 9mm conversions are done using custom made specially ground reamers for re-chambering revolver cylinders, They are ground to the optimum taper and length to work perfectly for ease of extraction and seamless transition into the cylinder sizing area.
* Hotter loaded .357's may stick after the conversion"

TK puts it:

"Our work on cylinders rechambered to 9mm are LIMITED to our customer's using standard 9mm ammo or low pressure reloads, which are 34,000 - 35,000 psi chamber pressure or less. Same chamber pressures apply to firing of .38 SPL & .357 Mag. Examples of FACTORY Brands are: Winchester, Federal & Remington.

Absolutley NO 9mm Nato, 9mm +P or 9mm +P+, all which are far beyond the 34,000 - 35,000 psi chamber pressure our conversion is intended for. Usually 38,500 psi, which WILL Stick!

If you try to use these high pressure ammo, you will experience cases sticking in all chambers.

We cannot warranty our work, if you disregard our warning/notice on high pressure ammo.

When rechambered to 9mm the cylinder will still shoot NON-HIGH Pressure ammo, 38 SPL or 357 Mag with or without the proper moonclip."

hdbiker

With a SP101 .357 having a bore for .357 diameter, I don't think a 9MM with a .355 diameter would be very accurate

JohnKSa

Administrator
Well, perhaps. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting .357 in a cylinder with charge holes that over bored.
Right. He still has his original .357Mag cylinder for shooting the original caliber. His 9mm cylinder (.357Mag modified to 9mm) would only be for 9mm.

The main reason for the mod is that finding a .357Mag cylinder to mod is probably a lot easier (and cheaper) than finding a 9mm cylinder.

Moenie

Now all i need is a cylinder
Thanks for the info .

I have a 7 shot 686 converted by TK Customs to shoot 9mm. I have not tried P+ 9mm ammo but with SAAMI level ammo I have not had any issues.

When you do the conversion you will also be able to use moonclips on 357 and 38 special. .357 and 9mm moonclips are not the same.

WC145

I have a S&W 360J that Pinnacle modified for me almost 13 years ago. The original .38spl cylinder was cut for moonclips and the chambers reamed to accommodate the tapered 9mm case. He also chamfered the forcing cone and did an action job and some other work. A few years later I purchased a titanium .38spl cylinder and had Mark fit that to the revolver also. The gun shoots great in both .38spl and 9mm, with no appreciable loss of accuracy with 9mm ammo. Mark Hartshorne's work is top notch and the 360J is one of my most trusted and most carried handguns.

If you're going to do a conversion like this I highly recommend a dedicated for 9mm. I have shot .38s through my converted cylinder and all but the lightest loads will bulge the brass and I've had +P loads split the bass on occasion. This is why I bought the extra titanium .38spl cylinder when I had the chance. Now if I want to shoot one or the other I just swap cylinders.

meaves

Considering the difference in head diameter of the 9mm and the .357 (SAAMI specs of 9.93mm & 9.63mm respectively) I don't see that being a very good idea. The fact that the 9mm is a tapered case may be problematic as well.

At a minimum you’ll lose velocity and accuracy in the 9mm.

Shot some 9 in a convertible Blackhawk and wasn’t impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk