Can The Government Mandate that YOU Buy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTT TL

.... Arms and Ammunition?

I only ask because I have never really given it much thought and saw this today:

3 The examples of other congressional mandates cited by JUSTICE GINSBURG, post, at 35, n. 10 (opinion concurring in part, concurring in judgment in part, and dissenting in part), are not to the contrary. Each of those mandates—to report for jury duty, to register for the draft, to purchase firearms in anticipation of militia service, to exchange gold currency for paper currency, and to file a tax return—are based on constitutional provisions other than the Commerce Clause.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/11-393c3a2.pdf

and it made me wonder....

KyJim

They can definitely assess a very high tax for those who don't buy guns and ammo and then throw you in jail for not paying your taxes -- that's as of today.

sigcurious

I don't know if they can, but I'm sure a lot of husbands wouldn't mind showing that bit of text to their wives. "But honey, the government says I have to buy this new <insert desired firearm here>" :D

More seriously though, from that excerpt it seems like they could only mandate it under specific conditions, such as a general call to arms cause we've been invaded and the regular military/reserves/national guard aren't enough, and there being a need for militias.

Chettt

After today's ruling I think we are more likely to see high taxes on firearms and ammunition. A $1,000 tax on each new gun, a $1 tax on each round regardless of caliber etc.

The govenment can tax anything anyway they wish.

They can definitely assess a very high tax for those who don't buy guns and ammo and then throw you in jail for not paying your taxes -- that's as of today.

Actually, the Roberts opinion today did say that a high tax intended to limit choice was not a valid tax.

MTT TL

I am not interested in discussing the rest of the decision. I just found it an odd concept.

I know that the Constitution particularly provides for providing for the common defense in the preamble. The idea that I must do a thing for the government simply for being a living adult is a concept I am having trouble wrapping my head around.

Status
Not open for further replies.