Can the BHP handle +p loadings?

Love&Hate12

The Browning High Power is such a sexy firearm and is a classic, I would look into getting one in the future and have no problem with standard 147 grain 9mm loadings(they get awesome penetration) but I was wondering if you could also shoot the hot 124 grain plus p loadings in it?

I have not personally fired the high power, is it a heavy firearm and can it be carried no problem? I think in the summer I would have to stay to my compact but in the winter with a jacket a full sized would be okay as long as it isn't heavy.

The High Power for me at least gets one hundred cool points just on looks.

Erich

Do a google search for Stephen A. Camp's Hi-Powers and Handguns site, and you'll find a wealth of info about shooting the BHP. He has info on shooting +P and +P+ rounds, and I believe that he discusses whether to use heavier recoil springs.

Personally, I mount a slightly-heavier-than-factory Wolff recoil spring in my Hi-Power (the upper one in this photo), and I've shot +P and +P+ rounds through it with no problems. Since it's an older pistol, though, I try to keep this to a minimum. If I were going to make a habit out of shooting +P rounds, I'd probably try to get a cast-frame (post-'93) pistol (the lower one in this photo).

Brownings18mar6009.jpg

Here's how to tell whether a gun has a cast frame. Look at the photo below - the cast frame gun has "ripples" on the bottom of the gripframe, the forged frame gun does not.

Brownings18mar6010.jpg

Glad to have another Hi-Power fan around. :)

Love&Hate12

thanks erich,

those are some beautiful pistols you have there. so the modern bhp's have the heavier recoil spring to handle such loadings, I personally like the regular loaded 147 grainers because you can do easy double taps and all of that but it is nice to shoot some hot loaded ones as well.

i plan on buying a new bhp from browning, and i am going to check out the site you mentioned.

Pilot

so the modern bhp's have the heavier recoil spring to handle such loadings,

No. The post 1993 BHP's have a cast frame which they made when they began offering the gun in both .40 S&W and 9MM. It is a stronger frame. You can get a higher powered spring form Wolff. I have the 18.5 lb Wolff recoil spring which is actually the weight FN uses for the .40 version. It cycles standard pressure and +P equally well.

Erich

I use that same spring - works well with everything and minimizes wear on the gun. But I load 147-grainers for carry in my old Sport model. :)

Love&Hate12

The Hornady tap would be perfect for personal protection in the 147 grain, it's only loaded to 950fps but they penetrate 14 inches in the ballistic gelatin.

Low recoil also.

What type of sight do you have on the first one?

Wildalaska

I shoot 115 standard ball for sport. Right now I carry 147 grain Winchester Ranger becasue thats what I have. If I run out, Ill carry whatever other hollowpoint is around cheaply.

WildallthesamestuffAlaska

Erich

You know, the Sport model came from the factory with those Millett sights. They are excellent.

My Gold Dot 147-grainers average 1002 fps out of the BHP. Good enough for me. :)

CharlieBrown

Hi-Power

my favorite

have a practical in .40..and a pre 93 in 9mm

my dad has a german marked artillery model..someday it will be mine too

love em