Can someone identify this revolver?

stevelyn

One of my co-workers has recently taken posession of some guns he's inherited. Among the booty is a single-action .44 Magnum revolver with apparently made for and sold by Herter's.
It's made in W. Germany, has three proof marks on the left side of the barrel. One is the number "64", directly under it is what appears to be an oak leaf, and the last one is a German eagle with the letter N underneath.
"Herter's Waseco, Minn" is also stamped on the left side of the barrel.
The right side of the barrel is stamped "Herter's Single-Six" and ".44 magnum calibre".
Can anyone tell me about this gun and who possibly made it?

I remember Herter's as a kid. My high point was finding their catalogue in the mail. I miss those guys.:(

datasmith

None of my references mention exactly what manufacturers made guns for Herters. Herters sold guns between the early 1960s and 1979. My references say that they were very well made guns, but didn't sell well against their named competition. The "eagle over N" symbol is a West German proof mark. The number 64 may indicate the production date. I could not find a reference for the leaf symbol.

BlueTrain

This won't answer your question but some of those earlier single-action imitation (used loosely) Colts actually have some collector value now. Most were made overseas, though some were made in this country. It is interesting to see what has happened to the contemporary market or rather production for such things. There are imitation Colts made in the original Colt factory and there are imitation Colts made by Beretta, proudly displaying the Beretta logos. I say loose imitations because some were made to a different scale, some actually being larger. Ruger is sort of in it's own class. Some of these different models, including Ruger, were discussed by Elmer Keith in his book "Sixguns."

ISP2605

WildAlaska is correct. Sauer made most of Herter's SA guns. Quite well made.
Herter's sold only the best of everything. If you don't believe it, all you have to do is read one of their catalogs.
Truly miss Herter's. They did have a lot of good quality stuff. Had a Herter"s .357 SA that was very well made. The guy I sold it to still has it. I still have a couple of Herter kitchen knives that are well made, extremely sharp, nicely balanced.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The oak leaf is the proof mark of the proof house at Eckernforde. The "64" is the year the gun was proofed (presumably the year it was made).

The Eckernforde proof is about equivalent to saying "Sauer", since they were located there and I think they were the only company that ever used that proof house.

Jim

stevelyn

Thanks guys. I'll pass on the info. It is well made. A little holster wear on the bluing and a tad bit of endshake, but the lock work is in perfect time. It also appears to have a Bisleyish type grip.

Archie

One got away...

I missed a .357 Magnum Herter's single action several years ago. A good friend got it, so it isn't a total loss.

The box was maked "J. P. Sauer and Sons". That was Sauer prior to being SIG-Sauer.