Can rifles and shotguns be direct shipped to a home?

B.N.Real

Just asking.

I know that handguns need to go through a gun dealer but are the rules the same for shotguns and rifles?

This is about buying shotguns and standard hunting rifles off of retailers on the internet.

Sodbuster

The answer to your question is no, they can't be shipped direct to your home. Any firearm purchased online by you must be sent to a FFL holder. You will have to provide the seller with a signed copy of a FFL in order for the seller to ship to that FFL. You then pick up from the FFL holder after completing a form 4473.

ISC

ther are exceptions sodbuster.
1) If a private transaction occurs between residents of the same state, a direct shipment to the seller's home is OK.
2) If a person is shipping a weapon to themself in care of another person, it's OK even in another state as long as the package remains unopened and is stored securely.
3) If a person ships a weapon out to be repaired it can be shipped directly back to them by the FFL holder.
4)If a person has a C&R license they can recieve C&R guns.

Sodbuster

I thought there were exceptions, ISC, such as CMP which I didn't really consider retail. Do some of these depend on state law? I really don't know, but preferred to be safe instead of sorry.

rzach

i sent a 686 to s&w 2 weeks later ups left it with my pal next door. ups picked it up at my house .

nalioth

rzach said:
i sent a 686 to s&w 2 weeks later ups left it with my pal next door. ups picked it up at my house .
Federal law allows you to send your firearms off for repair and for their return directly to you.

ISC

some states like Kalifornia require EVERY sale/transfer to go through an FFL. I'm sure there are others too. The bastards.

Hkmp5sd

If you are buying and/or "transferring" a firearm between owners, including long guns, and it crosses a state line, it must go through at least one FFL. Depending on your state laws, you may be able to purchase a long gun in any state from an FFL in that state, while you are physically in that state, and bring it back home with you. Handguns must go through a FFL in your home state.

nalioth

Hkmp5sd said:
If you are buying and/or "transferring" a firearm between owners, including long guns, and it crosses a state line, it must go through at least one FFL. Depending on your state laws, you may be able to purchase a long gun in any state from an FFL in that state, while you are physically in that state, and bring it back home with you. Handguns must go through a FFL in your home state.
No sir.

You can send long guns or hand guns to any other resident of your state who is legally able to own same (Federal law).

The caveat is: An unlicensed individual ( w/o an FFL ) cannot send hand guns though the US Mail, so must use a common carrier and dance to their tune when sending hand guns to other state residents.

Don H

nalioth said:
You can send long guns or hand guns to any other resident of your state who is legally able to own same (Federal law).
This also won't work in those states that require all transfers to go through an FFL. State firaarms laws can be more restrictive than federal firearms laws.

carguychris

ther are exceptions sodbuster.
1) If a private transaction occurs between residents of the same state, a direct shipment to the seller's home is OK.
2) If a person is shipping a weapon to themself in care of another person, it's OK even in another state as long as the package remains unopened and is stored securely.
3) If a person ships a weapon out to be repaired it can be shipped directly back to them by the FFL holder.
4)If a person has a C&R license they can recieve C&R guns.
Correct, but let me add:

5) If the rifle or shotgun is purchased in a face-to-face transaction at an out-of-state FFL's registered place of business, and the laws of the destination state do not require a transfer through an in-state FFL, the out-of-state FFL can ship it directly to your home address. (Note to future readers: this does not apply to handguns.)

6) The CMP, as a federal entity, is exempt from the law and can ship directly to you. However, state registration and/or licensing laws still apply.

7) There is no federal law against shipping a gun to yourself. State laws may apply, however.
This is about buying shotguns and standard hunting rifles off of retailers on the internet.
The caveat in #5 is "face-to-face transaction". No such thing is possible over the 'Net, so you'll need to do a transfer.

bikerbill

Thot I'd seen black powder muzzle-loader guns offered for direct sale in a couple of catalogs I get ... was I dreaming? Still need an FFL involved?

nalioth

carguychris said:
5) If the rifle or shotgun is purchased in a face-to-face transaction at an out-of-state FFL's registered place of business, and the laws of the destination state do not require a transfer through an in-state FFL, the out-of-state FFL can ship it directly to your home address. (Note to future readers: this does not apply to handguns.)
This is incorrect. Legally, one can purchase long guns from any FFL in a contiguous state. If you are not in a contiguous state, the firearm must be sent to an FFL holder in your state for receipt.
carguychris said:
The caveat in #5 is "face-to-face transaction". No such thing is possible over the 'Net, so you'll need to do a transfer.
There is no legal definition of "face to face sale". If you make a deal with resident {legally able to own whatever you're dealing} of your own state (where allowed) over the internet, over the phone, in a newspaper ad, etc, you may ship any firearm to them directly (comply with the US Post Office laws, please).
bikerbill said:
Thot I'd seen black powder muzzle-loader guns offered for direct sale in a couple of catalogs I get ... was I dreaming?
Under federal law (and most state laws), black powder (non cartridge) guns are not considered to be "firearms" for legal purposes.

carguychris

This is incorrect. Legally, one can purchase long guns from any FFL in a contiguous state. If you are not in a contiguous state, the firearm must be sent to an FFL holder in your state for receipt.
Uhhh, that's not how I understand it. Per 27 CFR Section 478.96:
Sec. 478.96 Out-of-State and mail order sales.

(a) The provisions of this section shall apply when a firearm is
purchased by or delivered to a person not otherwise prohibited by the
Act from purchasing or receiving it.

subsection (b) omitted, applies to in-state sales

(c)(1) A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed
dealer may sell or deliver a rifle or shotgun,
and a licensed collector
may sell or deliver a rifle or shotgun that is a curio or relic to a
nonlicensed resident of a State other than the State in which the
licensee's place of business is located
if--
(i) The purchaser meets with the licensee in person at the
licensee's premises to accomplish the transfer, sale, and delivery of
the rifle or shotgun
;
(ii) The licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed
dealer complies with the provisions of Sec. 478.102;
(iii) The purchaser furnishes to the licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, or licensed dealer the firearms transaction record, Form
4473, required by Sec. 478.124; and
(iv) The sale, delivery, and receipt of the rifle or shotgun fully
comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States.
(2) For purposes of paragraph (c) of this section, any licensed
manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer is presumed, in the
absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the
State laws and published ordinances of both such States.
(emphasis mine)

There's nothing in there saying whether the states are contiguous or not. "Meet the licensee in person at the licensee's premises" is the legal definition of a face-to-face sale.

Is there some other regulation I don't know about? :confused:

Hkmp5sd

As carguychris stated, this law is no longer in effect at the federal level. It was changed to allow purchasing long guns at any FFL's place of business. Some state laws still have the "contiguous" wording and thus prohibit the transaction.

bcarver

One more exception CMP

CMP will mail a rifle to your home. Up to twelve a year once you qualify.
Ammo and accesories also.

KChen986

MD FFL Rifle Transfer

Hey all, I apologize for asking this question.

I was under the impression that from a private rifle sale, the seller may ship the rifle across state lines in to the buyer's state, so long as the rifle goes to a FFL. I checked the BATFE FAQ and it had implied that. Furthermore, the seller told me the same.

However today, when I went to pick up my rifle (M1A NM), the FFL started hootin' and hollerin' about how there was no FFL enclosed in the package and that I had, 'violated about 37 federal laws.' The man's wife even shot me a dirty look.

I went ahead and called the BATFE to clarify, and they stated that rifles may go to from a non licensee to a FFL, no problem. However the agent who picked up my call said to call Baltimore BATFE just to be safe....

Anyone know what the rule is on this? I wasted an hour today and the shopowner is somewhat antagonizing (I'm not going back there--ever).

I want to be able to bring a strong case on how his interpretation of the FFL laws (Must have an FFL on both ends, shipping & receiving) is wrong, and only applies to pistols.

Is my interpretation correct? (FFL needed only on recieving end for a rifle) Any help will be appreciated!

Bud Helms

Not being a wiseass, but why would you aplologize for asking this question? This is TFL. 'Seems like a perfectly good question.

I believe you are correct, but we shall wait for a more positive answer.