Can of worms

Yankee Doodle

Hi folks,
Now I get to open a whole new can of worms.
There are times when I have to carry, and the only real concern is total and absolute concealment. If the piece has to be used, it will be at nose to nose distance. Without going into discussion of the gun or caliber I have chosen to fill this requirement, (NAA Mini, .22Mag in a pocket holster), I would like to hear what your choice of ammo for this piece would be. I do practice with it, and can put a cylinder full into a baseball at 10 feet all the time.
Now, I fully realize that other than a brain shot, this is not going to cause one shot stops. I understand the limitations of the cartridge, but I have to live with that.
Which ammo would you use, and why?
Thanks for the input
Y.D.

Tommy Vercetti

just because I have some

Federal Premium V-Shok Ammunition 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR) 30 Grain Speer TNT Jacketed Hollow Point :)

garryc

Here's a thought, not a recommendation just a thought. I wonder how the Aguila SSS would work out of a pistol. I know it would keyhole but at 10 feet who cares

RON in PA

You are shooting a marginal cartridge and I would suggest that you want penetration more than anything else so i would go with a solid point with a flat tip if possible.

slow944

I've got the Black Widow in my pocket as I type and I picked up the 45gr copper jacketed WMR from WallyWorld. I'm with you it's not much good over 10ft but at least I brung a gun to the fight. As someone else said "It's their git off me gun".

Jeff F

RWS 40 gr JSP. Good Penetration and they open up.
Winchester 40 gr JHP expand real well, explosively.

Tommy Vercetti

people die everyday from getting shot with marginal calibers :)

.22lr is an underrated caliber that claims alot of lives..a large portion by accident

N3rday

Check this out:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot8.htm

Now, I don't know where you live, but in this test, exterior clothing seriously negates expansion. I would imagine that as you go farther down the caliber scale, expansion would decrease exponentially. So, I figure go with a good solid round. Penetration first, THEN expansion.

Yankee Doodle

Thank you all

I just thought I would say thanks for the feedback.
After a couple of 2 hour range sessions, with a variety of ammo, I have decided that I will go with the CCI Maxi-Mag +V. Reason is that it produces the best accuracy from my gun, and after firing a few into some wet toilet paper rolls, I was impressed by both the penetration, and expansion.
If, heaven forbid, I am ever forced to use this thing to protect my life, or a loved one, interference by clothing is not going to be an issue. Rember what was said at Bunker Hill. With a mouse gun, those are words to live by.
Thanks again
Y.D.

leopard1

Another vote for solids against human targets; for penetration.

Trapped a couple of rats in the crawl space with Hav-a-Hart traps (I thought we had chipmunks in there, not rats). Shot the rats with the CCI .22 WMR TNT round out of a 2" barrel. It just snuffed the life out of them instantly.:barf: However, a wide hollow point like that might not penetrate as far as a solid in a larger mammal. With a .22 WMR, a long wound channel or enough penetration to achieve a CNS hit may be the best strategy.

For maximum versatility, you can alternate loading solids and hollowpoints in the cylinder. One of the great things about revolvers: they eat most anything and you can mix cartridge types in the wheel.