Can it be built and who can build it?

credx2

I recently acquired a Freedom arms model 83 premium grade in 454 Casull. I've decided it needs a stable mate. After some looking around, it seems that what I have in mind doesn't exist but the components do.

How does this sound... A Ruger No. 1 International in stainless steel chambered in 454 Casull with a laminated stock to match the ones on my revolver and a good set of open sights. If it shot 45 colt that would be a bonus but not a necessity

Of course I want pinpoint accuracy, uncompromising craftsmanship, breathtaking beauty, absolute reliability, extraordinary strength, and...I want it cheap...but hey I'm reasonable. ;)

WITHIN REASON, build time is not an issue and I’m willing to spend some money to have it built.

Anyone have any idea if it can be built and if so by whom?

Opinions, advice, encouragement and positions of descent are welcome

Thanks All

Last edited:

predator86

i think any barrel maker could make a barrel for you.....then you need to find somebody that makes custom gun stocks...

Scorch

As stated, barrels are available, and laminated stocks are also available. Buy a stainless #1 and go to work! Or find a good smith and give him something to keep him busy.

Since both the 45 Colt and 454 Casull are rimmed rounds, and have the same head size, either round will fire in the chamber. You may want to load 454 brass down to 45 Colt levels if you want to avoid the dreaded carbon ring.

As far as breathtaking beauty, laminated stocks are about as beautiful as last week's leftover oatmeal. Maybe a better idea would be a fancy wood stock on the #1 and a set of fancy wood grips for the Casull.

Molasses

You might also do a search of some of the gun auction sites... Freedom Arms did up some Ruger No. 3s in .454 and also in a nasty little .22-454 wildcat back in like the early '80s, IIRC. They were featured in a Guns & Ammo article when they were introduced and a shop here in the Twin Cities had one of each that I kept drooling over for about 3 months circa '92.

I know a No. 3 wouldn't be configured quite like what you're talking about, but maybe restocking vs rebarrelling...?

credx2

Great Idea

Scorch,

Great advice. I have to agree with you about laminated stocks. I was thinking build the rifle to meet the look of the revolver. Changing the revolver to match the rifle is a great idea and both will be more to my liking in the end. I have to remember to think out of the box a little more.

Thanks much

TCMan

Man, as soon as I did that then I would have to go out and get a revolver chambered for 460. Then they will come out with a 45 caliber Express Super Double Secret Super Magnum Supreme Death Ray and it will start all over again. I'm very capable of sliding right up that slippery slope. Gotta draw the line somewhere, but real practical suggestion thanks.

zxcvbob

I have looked at the Puma I hear good things about it but I have my heart set on the Ruger International, although I might be talked into the shorter for-stock on a shortened 20” or 22” barrel.

I looked at the Dakota website thinking they might be able to build what I “need”. Wow beautiful rifles, unfortunately they exceed my "within reason, willing to spend some money" threshold. I don’t know yet what that threshold is but I know 5, 6, 7 or 8 grand exceeds it.

Keep the ideas coming folks. Before ya know it we'll have a blueprint.

Oh yeah, anybody got any suggestion on sights. Keep in mind this is a short gun for nothing longer than 150 - 200 yards. Looking for traditional, understated, tough, quick to acquire with a pretty precise level of adjustment. No scopes, electronics or holographic red dots or fiber optics. Think K.I.S.S. cuz sometimes that last S is applicable to me.

Last edited:

dipper

Ruger #1

There are a few good smiths out there that do great work on number ones.
You don't have to buy a rifle, Brownells for instance sells bare number one actions.
Since you will have to re-barrel anyway, you may as well just start with the action---as mentioned above, there are many stocks available for the number one from different suppliers.
Number ones are GENERALLY not known for pinpoint accuracy with out alot of tuning work---a fore end and trigger job at the least will be needed--BUT, alot will depend on what you consider pinpoint accuracy.
Depending on what you want and who does the work or if you do any yourself, a build like this is not going to be cheap. I would think you'll be looking at a min. of $2000.00 if you use a top smith and quality materials.
Action,barrel,trigger and sights alone could run 1,000.00 or more depending on what you use.
Would be a neat build.

Dipper

CPTMurdoc30

I would have a matching set of AAA clairo walnut stocks made. I like laminate but as other have said beautiful it is not always.

Coopersrcool

Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks

Leroy and Connie Barry can do anything you want @ Canyon Creek Gunstocks up in Montana. Check out his website. Unbelievable Craftsmanship and beauty. I have two of his pieces working on a third.

www.canyoncreekgunstocks.com

IMG_0584.jpg

credx2

Coopersrcool

Beautiful guns beautiful wood and craftsmanship. Those are some reach out and touch someone optics.

I'll send Canyon Creek an e-mail and see what they can do. I didn't see the mannlicher style stock for the Ruger on their web page but they had a couple on bolt guns. Pricy but????

Thanks for the link.