Can I.....

grubbylabs

reload +P loads in non +P stamped brass. I have some federal once fired brass that was 230 grn FMJ's. Can I reload those as +P?

Shoney

There is no difference between regular brass and +P brass. I preusme you are loading 45ACP, but you did not say.

SAAMI's official designation of 45ACP pressures are as follows:
45 Auto 21,000 psi
45 Auto +P 23,000 psi

Please make sure your weapon is made for use of the +P rouonds.

Jim243

Could someone explain what a 45 ACP +P is, I have never head of it, 38 spl +P and 9 mm +P & +P+ yes but 45 +P what is that a 45 LC?

Jim

Sevens

Nope Jim, it's exactly what Shoney just posted above you. It's a .45 Auto/.45 ACP loaded to a higher overall max pressure.

We had a recent thread that discussed +P loads. Of the four that you mentioned (.38 Special +P, 9mm +P, 9mm +P+, and .45 Auto +P), one of them is not an officially recognized load built to SAAMI industry standards. That's the 9mm +P+. Some companies have referenced it, and some ammo makers have stamped it on their boxes and brass too, but it's not built to a recognized standard.

FWIW, I've also seen some .38 Special brass that is also stamped +p+.

For grubbylabs, one of the way we always check to make sure that our brass is good regardless of the head stamp is to punch up Starline and see what they say. They'll tell you right on their page that their 9mm +P brass is exactly the same stuff as their 9mm brass, but with a different head stamp.

Dannyl

the gun you are using matters more than the brass.

HI,
the reason why some brass is stamped +p or +P+ is because when it was shipped from the factory it was either loaded as +P ammo and it is essential that the user sees this, or it was brass that was made for a factory that would use it or +P ammo yet it ended being sold as new brass somehow.

IMO you can use standard brass, but what is really important is that the firearm you are loading for is designed for +P ammo and is in condition does not preclude it from being fired with this ammo. after all, the case is enclosed in the chamber and locked by the breech ( or in the cylinder) , so it is really the gun that needs to withstand the pressure.

Last, be very carefull building up your loads.

Brgds,
Danny

Last edited:

AlaskaMike

They'll tell you right on their page that their 9mm +P brass is exactly the same stuff as their 9mm brass, but with a different head stamp.

While that's true for their 9mm brass (and .38 spl +P as well I think), that's not the case with their .45 ACP brass. They say their .45 +P brass is stronger.

Doesn't really apply to the original question in this thread, but I thought I'd throw it out there...
Mike

Randy 1911

Starline brass says that their 45ACP brass is different for 45 ACP +P. The +P has a thicker web. If it was safe to use regular brass for +P loads, I don't think Starline would make seperate kinds of brass. It is one of the few kinds of brass that are actually different. Most are the same except for headstamp.