Can I use break free powder blast on Glock barrel and Slide only??

Josh17

I tried to google search it but nothing, they all talk about the frame only..

What if I field strip the Glock, put the frame away, and then using Break Free Powder blast I spray the barrel and slide with it?? I assume that will be okay since there isn't any plastic parts on the slide or barrel?

If it's okay to spray the barrel and slide with zero chance of harm, how about the spring? Is that okay to spray or should I leave it alone?
Also: if I sprayed inside the barrel with the powder blast do I need to run a dry patch down the barrel or will it fully/COMPLETLY dissolve on its own in few mins or so, and I don't need to run a dry patch on it?

I planned on spraying the barrel (outside, not sure about inside yet) and then the every part of the slide, getting the striker pin area and make sure it's totally clear, and then either letting it air dry for 20 mins or so (it claims it self dries in minutes 100%) or use a rag to help it dry some? Unless the Rag messes with the powder blast cleaning it fully and drying on its own.
Then once it's clean and free of all dirt/etc, I was going to add Break free CLP to lube the Glock on the "5 points on a Glock".... Would my idea work good for cleaning and lubing the gun?
I know the frame won't be cleaned, but I could easily clean and lube it with the CLP only (not the powder blast of course). Or if it's a carry weapon that isn't shot often does the frame really need to be cleaned well, or just lube it in one spot (one of the 5 spots on a Glock that needs lube).

Last edited:

P71pilot

The safariland breakfree powder blast sure is real nasty. I have seen it instantly dissolve the lacquer and stain on a wood stock. I definitely would not let it contact any polymer parts. Before you go soaking your slide with it, make sure there are no plastic parts inside the striker channel/assembly. I do not know glocks that well, bug I am pretty sure there are lots of striker guns that have a plastic sleeve that the striker rides in inside the slide

pbcaster45

Shouldn't be a problem but there are some plastic parts (cups) used with the firing pin spring. If you are going to do a good cleaning you should remove the firing pin and extractor anyway...

I still run a patch down the barrel after using Gun Scrubber.

Good instruction of stripping the slide here at Vanek Custom.

http://www.vanekcustom.com/12.html

Josh17

It's the "Break free powder blast" brand.

I'm almost certain I could use it on the outside of the barrel at least, right? What about inside of barrel, can I spray it inside there and not have to run a dry patch through it??

As far as the slide... Anyone know if the Glock slide has plastic/ploymer on the a anywhere on the slide??

Lastly:

How about on a Rugee LCR? If I just spray the barrel and inside the chambers? Or would it be too close to the grips where it may drip down??

Lastly: how about a Charter Arms .44 special revolver? I can spray that anywhere with the break free powder blast, just avoiding the grips am I correct?

I just never owned this break free Powdered blast until now, so mainly wanna know how I can use it on a Glock, and also on revolvers (I assume on revolvers like the charter arms bulldog .44 special it's all metal so I just need to avoid the grips, but on the LCR I'm not sure if maybe some parts of the gun besides the grips are maybe plastic.)

P71pilot

It will be fine on any metal parts, that includes the outside of the barrel. As for inside the barrel, I would use it, in conjunction with a metal bore brush and patches to clean your bore. Spray, scrub, run patch, repeat. I like to oil all steel surfaces, then wipe/rub the oil off. Allows some oil to stay on the surface of the metal and help prevent oxidation, on top of the finish.

Josh17

My barrel on the inside isn't dirty enough to require a brush.

So just spraying it inside and outside of the barrel, then running a few dry patches though it should be good? Then wait 20 mins, as the powder blaster claims it self dries fully. Then I would add a small drop of lube to top part of barrel where it gets wear, then be done. Right?

P71pilot

Sounds good to me. Glocks are known to require very little lubrication. And their finish is extremely tough. They are well made guns.

TunnelRat

Just my opinion, but if you're going to run patches through the barrel there's no reason not to do a couple passes with a bore brush beforehand. It helps loosen up the lead/copper/carbon deposits and should take very little time. I don't have any problem with aerosols, but inside a barrel you can't get direct spray to all points on the barrel walls to really blast stuff out of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g.willikers

The material used in modern synthetic frames is not what most folks think of as plastic.
They are not nearly as prone to chemical damage.
But it's still always a good idea to test any chemical first before wading in spraying.

JDBerg

Get rid of that BF Powder Blast, stick to either regular Breakfree or better yet, start using Ballistol.

L-2

Josh17, I recommend not using the Powder Blast product on a Glock slide.
Yes, Glock does have polymer on or within its slides.
I've not used the Powder Blast product but I'll take Safariland's recommendation to not use it on plastics or polymers.

Glock's recoil spring assemblies (RSA) also use polymer as or within its RSAs, i.e., don't use it there either.

I have not even heard of Powder Blast prior to your post.

Regarding the barrel, it should be ok, but then the patches and barrel are in close proximity to your polymer parts. As I mainly own Glocks, I'm not even going to buy that product. My other cleaners are working good enough. We're referring to guns which have been used. If anybody is too "O.C" (obsessive compulsive) about cleaning them, either don't shoot or use them, or buy another as a spare gun just to keep unused and locked up for show.

Last edited:

gyvel

Walmart Super Tech carb cleaner ($1.97 a can) is every bit as effective as any Breakfree spray and doesn't affect polymer. It does, however, affect other types of plastics and wood finishes, and it does make a pretty good paint remover.

rebs

I use Hornady one shot cleaner and lube on all my guns. Never had a problem, just spray them and watch the dirt and carbon run out.

orionengnr

So, does risking the well-being of a $500 pistol to use $1.97 cleaner make sense to you?
Not to me, either.
Carb cleaner (by any manufacturer) may cause damage to several types of materials.
Get rid of the questionable cleaner and use something you have no concerns about.
Ballistol is a good suggestion.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Anyone know if the Glock slide has plastic/ploymer on the a anywhere on the slide??
Yes, it does.

1. The stock front and rear sights are plastic.
2. The firing pin channel liner is plastic.
3. The spring loaded bearing (part of the spring assembly that tensions the extractor) is plastic.
4. The firing pin spacer sleeve is plastic.
5. The firing pin spring cups are plastic.
6. The slide cover plate is plastic clad.

gyvel

So, does risking the well-being of a $500 pistol to use $1.97 cleaner make sense to you?
Not to me, either.
Carb cleaner (by any manufacturer) may cause damage to several types of materials.

I use it consistently. It doesn't damage any polymer. As I said, it can damage styrene plastic such as that used on plastic models and it will remove paint and varnish. However it is perfectly safe on any $500.00 pistol or any $2500.00 pistol. I've used it for years. If you want to pay $8.00 a can for some name brand "cleaner" then, by all means go ahead. Walmart Supertech has no content that damages any type of metal and does not damage polymer. Nor does it leave any oily residue.

+1k ammo

You just have to strip down slide but may be a little harder if u have stock plastic sights. The front is hex bolt that a Glock tool is need to remove. The rear can be tapped out. I have not done either.

The internals are easy. Take off rear cover plate (plastic) and the plunger assembly and striker assembly will slide out which both contain plastic parts.
But the hard one is channel liner. Just plastic sleeve but u need glock tool or modded tool to get out and a new one to put back in. I have not done channel liner yet.

So good luck and let us know how it turned out.
Oh, and why the blasting, is gun very dirty?

Sharkbite

But the hard one is channel liner. Just plastic sleeve but u need glock tool or modded tool to get out and a new one to put back in. I have not done channel liner yet.

If you ever NEED to remove the channel liner a 22cal bore brush on a rod pushed into it will pull the liner out. It is a replacement part (not to be reused).

In all my shooting time with Glocks (and its a bunch), ive never seen one needing to be removed.

I would avoid all the carb cleaner type products. Just detail strip the gun (lots of youtube vids avail) and clean with normal solvents.