can i shoot 7.62x39 ammo in a h&r single shot chambered for .308 win.?

kristop64089

7.62x 51 yeah. I wouldn't advise shooting 7.62x39 in it though. I'd doubt it would work, as the cartridge lengths are different.

I have do experience with that gun, but it doesn't sound safe.

kristop64089

Funny this was brought up. Yesterday I was talking to a guy who is planning on shooting 32acp, and 7.62x25, through his Mosin-Nagant

wnycollector

I have several chamber adapters (7.62x25 to 7.62x51, .32acp to 7.62x51 and 7.62x25 to 7.62x54). I get decent accuracy with the 7.62x25 adapters out to 100 yards. The .32acp adapter is good for 40 yards max. Mcace adapters are pretty decent quality and I wouldn't hesitate using the their 7.62x39 adapter in a handi rifle.

wogpotter

Unless you have a case adapter specifically designed to allow the use of 7.62X39 ammo in a 7.562X 51 chamber then not just NO! but, HELL NO!
With an adapter, sure it'll work, sorta. Trajectory & velocity won't match your sights (150 Gr @ 2850 FPS Versus 110 Gr at 2400 FPS) so you'll have inaccurate range settings reduced terminal ballistics & so on.

Why not?
Excessive headspace (not just a few thousandths of an inch, which would be unacceptable & dangerous) but 12 mm of excessive headspace. :eek:

The bullet, although nominally 7.62 is not the same diameter as a true 7.62mm, it is closer to a Brit .311, than .308".

Read the rules of gun safety, with particular reference to the one that says to "Only use ammunition of the correct caliber for the gun." which this absolutely is not.

bamaranger

+++++1

Wogs got it. Cartridge interchangeability is an extremely rare thing, and even rarer, if not non existent in centerfire rifles.

NEVER shoot a ctg in a firearm that is not so marked.

oneshot onekill

Uh... NO! Period... Ever! Don't even mess with adaptors. It's just plain dangerous! If you even put a 7.62x39 in the chamber of a 7.62x51 it will fall too far into the chamber to be struck by the firing pin. If it did happen to go off it could cause a catastrophic failure of the action.

asmyles

All above are correct. The money saved for the ONE shot are not worth a new rifle and the possible trip to the Emergency Room:eek: