Can I mix gun care products?

fariaguard

I have put up recent posts about a 5 day salt water fog corrosion test and Eezox was the winner. RIG was not tested but was highly recommended by readers. I also put up a friction metal wear test in which Weapon Shield was the winner but I cannot find corrosion tests on it. I also learned Eezox did just about as well as Weapon Shield in the metal wear test. It seams difficult to find a single product to do it all.

Is it OK to use Eezox or RIG as a rust preventative and Weapon Shield as a lubricant. I've heard (not from an expert) that some lubes don't play well with others and cross contamination may cause a breakdown of the lube like with Frog Lube. Weapon Shiled and Eezox are both synthetic so I don't think there is a problem.

Eezox may be the best all purpose product but I now have a bottle of Weapon Shield which I love. The actions feel and sound like they are on butter coated roller bearings. Any thoughts and thanks as always!

win-lose

From my experience I'd say a definite maybe :D I know that eezox will dissolve other lubes/protectorants. If weapon shield is a CLP, then it may do the same to eezox.

Is it possible that there is a chemical reaction between the 2 that causes other unintended consequences? Again, maybe.... but probably much less likely.

I like eezox as a protectoratant, not so much as a lube. I find it to be a irritant so I don't use it much these days. Though, I did break it out when I came across a blued S&W 24-3 that really needed to be carried in the heat of the summer.

T. O'Heir

Yep. There's nothing in any of 'em that'll react if mixed. Most of 'em are the same thing anyway.
Frog Lube CLP is a food grade proprietary formula.
Weapons Shield is just a Lithium Hydroxy-Stearate grease.
EEZOX is a brand name for a dry lube and several other heavier than water products that leave a thin film behind after application. EEZOX Gun Care apparently eats rubber grips though. Kind of toxic stuff too according to its MSDS.
http://www.eezox.info/msds.html

wogpotter

Personally I stick to a brand for everything. I assumed (yeah, I know) that a company would at least check for reactions within its product lines if nowhere else.

fariaguard

Feedback.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I never thought of checking the MSDS sheets. Great tip. I think I will contact the MFGS and ask the question.

If any MFGS are reading another great point brought up was the compatibility with other products. This is standard with medications and some household cleaners. Just say'n!