Can I convert Savage Axis XP in 308 to 260

Wendyj

Picked up a cheap Savage Axis XP today used but not much from looking at it. Already have the Tikka in a 308. Was surprised after adding Bushnell 4500 Elite series scope to it that it groups as close as the Tikka. I know you can order barrels for the Savages but not sure about this model. I would like to modify to a .260 Rem. change stocks and trigger. Is this possible with this model and if so who makes a decent priced long range barrel for it.

Wendyj

That's a great site. Stainless barrell and install for around $250.00. Only bad part is 260 is back ordered. However I'm in no hurry. Can't see that I can get a fluted barrel or long range. But I'd be happy with the plain 260

Wendyj

Yeah they've got a number I can call on Monday. I think from other site I can't use bull barrel. Will have to call and see. The 260 is a wonderful caliber

Wendyj

Been trying to find one for a long time with no luck. Seen this used Savage today and thought why not. I'll have one built if possible. Curious if I will have to change bolt and magazine.

Mobuck

Just my opinion: At least start with a better base. Using a low price point action seems counter productive. And besides that, AXIS actions are just plain UGLY.

taylorce1

Well you won't have any problems finding a barrel for your Savage Axis. The problem will be finding an in stock barrel that isn't a varmint or bull barrel. The majority of barrel makers market to the people who are trying build a long range rifles and that doesn't mean very many sporter weight barrels in popular long range rounds.

Last edited:
Sure you can.. Thats the best part of owning a Savage.
The Axis has the same barrel system as the model 10, 11, ect.

I have a model 11 that I switch out from 308, 243, and 7mm- 08.
Right now I have the 7mm-08 barrel on it. It came from a AXIS.

Once you own the action wrench, the Barrel nut wrench and a set of 308 head space gauges your set for all the calibers derived from the 308 win case.

You can build it up special if you want or just do what I do and grab a take off barrel for cheap off Ebay. Then shoot it till your sick of it then swap out.

If you want to get into it more. You can change the bolt head to take a completely different caliber if you want. I have not done that yet.
I will just buy and Axis 2 in 223 and swap out a 300 black out barrel when I want.

Not as easy as converting an AR but not un doable ether.

The only hard ones to do are getting a factory installed barrel off.
20 pounds torque my butt.

If you want to get by with a barrel wrench and wood blocks. The 1st time let a Gun Smith take the barrel off.
The next time they come off easy if torqued to the correct 20 pounds.
Have not used the action wrench since the 1st one. That was $75 and my smith would have charged me $40. Live and learn I guess.

Last edited:

taylorce1

Wendyj said:
Bell and Carson may have one. Been all over looking for HS precision. No luck.

You will not find a stock from either of those companies. As far as I know currently Boyd's and Sharpshooter Supply are the only two making/selling stocks for the Axis. With either of those stocks you will not need to change on the magazine, and the Boyd's comes with a new trigger guard.

Wendyj

Just looked up Boyd's. Not a bad deal. Would like to have one in camo like the one that's on it but I'm not going to be too picky. The Laminate looks ok.

Jay24bal

MDT is making chassis systems for the Axis. And Shilen offers pre-fit barrels for savage rifles as well. As for the trigger, rifle basics also makes one, and it's lowest pull weight is lighter than the Timney.

I am currently turning a 243 Axis into 6.5 CM, and these are the places I am sourcing the stock/chassis, barrel and trigger from.

Wendyj

It's in 308. So I could start with a barrel and be shooting until I find stock. Trigger is 3.2 pounds which is live able at the time. I bought it used so trigger may have been adjusted before. Not sure. From what I've read they are standard around 6 pounds but this is first Savage I've ever owned. Not a great picture but it will look different in a month or two.

Last edited:

Wendyj

Called all the barrel companies listed and I thank you all for listing them. Looks like black hole can take my rifle cut and mill the barrell. They will install test fire and I can have it back in 8-12 weeks. Fluting an extra $60.0 if I want but not sure yet. Just waiting on Savage to reply back with barrel and collar shank size. Going to go with 24 inch I think. Extra $20.00 to cut to 24 as all their blanks are 26. What do you think? 24 or 26 inch. 1-8 twist to stabilize 130-140 gr bullets.