Can AR10 magazine well be modified for G3/CETME magazines?

dZ

the biggerhammer.net SR25 doods would know fer shure but my guess is no

the M14 magazines are only slightly mod-ed to fit the AR10

remember the mod-ed magazine must still function in the original gun or you have committed the crime of manufacture

uglygun

dz managed to beat me to it, modded mags have to be able to function in the original firearm they were intended for. M14 tubes can be left such that they will function just fine in an M1A still and work in an AR10 as well if you simply change out the follower and get the slot milled in the side of the tube for mag catch. If you leave the full lug on the back of the magazine body though, you won't be able to use the bolt hold open in the AR10. However it's possible to machine away the upper 1/2 of the lug so that the bottom 1/2 still functions as intended in the M1A and when used in the AR10 with correct follower it will operate the bolt catch.

Destructo6

He asked if the magwell of the gun could be modified, not the magazine.

I don't see why not, but it would probably be fairly expensive. Mag catch and magwell would probably both need quite a bit of work.

Isn't this sort of thing right up Tromix's alley?

Last edited:

Southern Raider

Can it be done? Probably. However, for the cost involved, you'd be able to buy at least 10-20 round magazines. Buy an aftermarket USA brand mag for $10, trade it for an Armalite conversion kit for $30 and add a new GI spring and floorplate from Elite Firearms for $3.50. Total cost = $43.50/mag. People pay more than that for USGI M14 mags.