Can anyone recommend a 6.5x55 tackdriver?

Dogger

I am enamored with the 6.5x55 cartridge, but the accuracy I achieve with my M38 surplus mauser carbine isn't living up to expectations. (Of course, it could be the operator of said carbine :) ) Can anyone recommend a brand of rifle, and a particular rifle in that manufacturer's line, chambered in 6.5x55 that is famous for accuracy? Thanks.

Dangus

The M96, the bigger, longer version of the M38, is much more accurate. I would suggest that you try one of those. After-all, it's only 120-200 at most to really get a good gun that even if it's not quite what you want, it's still worth having..

PJR

Sako makes the Model 75 in 6.5x55 and Tikka also makes its rifles in this caliber including the heavy barrel varmint models. I've never seen a Model 75 in this caliber but have seen a Tikka. I would imagine they would have to be special ordered but they would be more accurate than a surplus Swedish Mauser.

Go here for more info:

http://www.sako.fi/index.html

timujin

Winchester model 70 6.5 x 55

When my Winchester came from the factory it had a very hard trigger pull. Once I had the trigger worked on by a pro it was down to 3 1/2 to 4 lbs. Now it was ready to shoot. Winchester 140 grain ammo groups around an inch for 3 shot groups and S & B 129 grain ammo and Hornady Light Magnum ammo shoots a little tighter than the Winchester ammo. I don't know if it qualifies as a tack driver but it's as accurate as I can shoot...........Mike

Shootist45

Tackdriver?

I have an affinity for single shots.

You might try the TC Encore frame and get a barrel from one of the custom makers such as: FoxRidge, E.A. Brown, Bullberry, or Virgin Valley Arms. All guarantee accuracy.

Anyhow, the Encore with the replaceable barrels is a blast. I told my wife I'd never have to buy another rifle again, and she gave me permission to buy it. I haven't told her how much I've spent on barrels, but she does ask me about all the different calibers of ammo I have!

As for the others, the M96 is probably the way to go for least expense and accuracy.

Enjoy!

Do not only train, also teach.

416Rigby

Ditto to what PJR said.

Actually, there is a new Sako model (Finnlight) that comes standard in 6.5x55.... Apparently, some enlightened mind somewhere in the cockpit decided that this caliber was too good to pass up or to offer as a special order only.... ;)

Reports have it as a sub-moa rifle. The first batches of this model are supposed to hit the Shining Shores somewhere around April.

I highly recommend this rifle.