Can Anyone Put a Date on My Official Police

dallasconundrum

Hi guys, I picked up a Colt Official Police a couple of days ago. It is my first Colt ever, and I must say that it keeps growing on me. Anyway, I was wondering if some could give me a ball-park year for the gun.

The numbers from the crane assembly are 7395XX

Thanks in advance for any help.

Doug.38PR

1948? Does it have a ramped sight or half moon? What does the hammer look like? I have never seen a Official Police from 1945-1950. I have a 1944 version and a 1961 version.

ColtOfficialPolice61.jpg

ColtOfficialPolice44alone.jpg

Which one does yours look like?

dallasconundrum

jacob - Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Just wondering, but who/what is Wilson? I am assuming it's a book or something, but I have been wondering where you guys look up this sort of info, cause I would like to get the book that has this kind of info.

Doug - It looks exactly like the 1944 model that you have in the bottom pic. Half-moon front sight etc... It also looks to be in about the same condition as the '44 one that you have as far as the finish goes.

Dfariswheel

"Wilson" is R.L. Wilson.
The book is "Colt: An American Legend".

This is considered by the Colt factory to be the "official" history of Colt firearms, and shows EVERY Colt firearm made from 1836 to 1985.

In the back of the book is an index listing ALL known serial numbers by model and date.