Can anyone identify these markings on a M25-2

sinister1811

I have a M25-2 that I got from a buddy. He also received it used from another friend a long time ago. From the serial # it looks like a 1980 manufacture date with a pinned barrel. It has some markings on it which seem odd to me. The almost look like proof markings of sorts. Here are some pics, does anyone know for sure what this is.
8129_1187454979084_1609601783_488958_3285416_n.jpg

8129_1187454939083_1609601783_488957_3814852_n.jpg

RsqVet

The one on the barrel and under the ejector is the Ulm germany nitro proof.

The other marks under the crane look like other euopean proofs as well, not sure what... typically would only expect to see one on any given gun.

Why this is on a 25-2 makes very little sense to me.... maybe a gun that was owned by someone in the service who traveled with it... that is a stretch and I have no idea how things like that worked back in the day when you could do that... not going to happen at all these days I am sure.

Or maybe a S+W demo gun?

The english word below all the proof marks MIGHT be the name of the re-importer as required by BATF if it spend it's early life in europe.

I'd love to own it proof marks or not.

sinister1811

I got it under the assumption that I would trade a Glock 27 for it. I told him I wanted to research the value before making the trade. It has some very light pitting in some areas but nothing deep at all.

BillCA

You'll enjoy that Model 25 a lot more than the Glock. It's recoil is very mild, even with Double Tap's 255gr LSWC in .45 Auto-Rim.

I have the pair below. The 2.75" is a custom made snubbie and recoil is more noticeable, but still within pleasant shooting levels. The big 6½ barrel tames recoil and makes for very accurate shooting.
M25Duo.jpg

Reloading for the .45ACP in a wheelgun allows you to use any shape bullet you want. Though I typically try to load LSWC and other odd shapes in .45 Auto-Rim to avoid trying to use them in a 1911.

874107.jpg

Double Tap .45 Auto-Rim 255g LSWC - 904 fps

These guns are capable of remarkable accuracy too. And for home defense, throwing large chunks of slow moving lead tends to stop aggression rather abruptly.

James K

Member In Memoriam
At some time, that revolver was sold in Germany by Wischo in Erlangen, a firearms and air gun manufacturer who also had a retail store. How it got back to the U.S. is anyone's guess. Firearms sold in American PX/BX stores would not have a German dealer's name on them.

Jim

David the Gnome

You can go to any gun store in America and buy a Glock. You would be hard pressed to find another one of those that's been re-imported.

sinister1811

When shooting .45 acp, do I need moon clips? I've never owned a .45 acp revolver before and I'm not familiar on how this works.

Hafoc

Sinister- The short answer is "Yes, you need moon clips."

The long answer is that the revolver will work without them. It has a shelf in the chamber upon which the case mouth will headspace, just as the case mouth of a .45 ACP headspaces in the Model 1911 autopistol. The extractor won't work that way, though; you'd need a pencil to push the fired cases out from the front, one at a time. Still, if you did happen to be stranded on a desert island with a metric ton of .45 ACP ammo and no clips, being able to fire but having to poke the empties out is much better than not being able to fire at all.

The even longer answer would go into detail about how you can get full moon clips, that hold six rounds; the original half moon clips, first introduced in World War I, which hold three each; a plastic version (I think); and even a two-shot version, so you'd have to load three of them to get a full cylinder. Or at least they did make those at one time. I'm not sure if they still make the two-shot version. I don't know what the advantage of those over the three shot would be.

Or you can get .45 Auto Rim cartridges. They are what they sound like, a rimmed revolver cartridge which is dimensionally the same as a .45 ACP from the rim forward. They were designed just so there would be a cartridge you could use without moon clips in the .45 ACP revolvers which normally required them.

You have to be a bit careful with the .45 Auto Rim, since at least one .45 ACP revolver, the Taurus Stellar Tracker five-shot, couldn't chamber the Auto Rim. But the Smith 25, 625, etc. will. So will the Colt Model 1917 revolver the Army used along with the S&W Model 1917, for that matter.

gyvel

The other marks under the crane look like other euopean proofs as well, not sure what... typically would only expect to see one on any given gun.

The other two proofs are German as well, although I don't have my proof ID book in front of me so I couldn't tell you exactly which proof houses they are.

stevieboy

I have a 27-3 that I bought at an online auction and that has proof marks that sort of resemble, but are not identical, to those on your gun. I was sufficiently intrigued to request a letter from Smith's historian, Roy Jinks. He told me that the gun was manufactured in early '88 and shipped to a German importer. How it found its way back here is anyone's guess. Obviously, however, guns occasionally make their way across the Atlantic and then return.