Can Any NASCAR Fans Answer This?

Single Six

I understand that the winners of the NASCAR races at Texas Motor Speedway are traditionally awarded a pair of single action revolvers. Can anyone tell me what brand/caliber these guns are?

orionengnr

I would guess that they are ornamental (non-functional). Otherwise it would not be legal to hand them over without a NICS check.

Auto426

Link

It appears that the guns come from Turnbull. Whether or not they are actually made by Turnbull, or just customized by them isn't specified.

Single Six

Orionengnr: The winners will usually fire off blanks from the revolvers once they're in Victory Lane [sure do hope they're blanks, anyway!], so they do appear to work. Auto426: Thanks for that link, and thank you both for the responses. Now I know. :)

radom

You need a NICS check to buy them. Once purchased they can do what ever they want with them.

Uncle Buck

Radom: "Once purchased...",

you still can not give them, sell them, loan them to someone who is prohibited from owning them.

Single Six

Uncle Buck: The question that poses is probably not for TFL, and so I'm not trying to turn the conversation in that direction here, but one wonders if any NASCAR drivers are legally prohibited from firearms ownership. Seems unlikely, since you almost never see those guys having the legal issues so many pro-athletes do, but still....hmm.

AirForceShooter

What's the problem
The guns get shipped to a FFL in the winners home state for official transfer.
My daughter lives in Charlotte.
She sees all the NASCAR guys at the gun shop

AFS

Webleymkv

While slightly off topic, this brings another question to mind. Winchester, I believe, used to give a lever action rifle to each new president (up through Reagan at least and I think Bush Sr.). I wonder, does the POTUS have to go through a NICS check in such a situation?