Can accidentally dropping a primer in the case cause an explosion?

chasep255

A while back someone told me that if I accidentally dropped a primer into the brass case this could cause an explosion when the round is fired. I am not talking about accidentally setting off a primer by dropping it, instead I mean what would happen if you accidentally mixed a primer in with the gunpowder? Would this cause an explosion when the gun is fired or would you probably not even notice?

SHR970

If you are unlucky it would be sitting in the bore when you fired your next round and give you a barrel bulge when the bullet passed the obstruction.

As far as an explosion.... not happening. Not enough potential energy to cause a serious problem other than raising pressure a bit.

jag2

Just a guess but I think it would follow along right behind the bullet down the barrel and you would never know it was there. A primer pretty much has to be struck right in the middle to go off. 'Tis an interesting question though, never thought about that happening.

reddog81

I highly doubt you'd even notice. It might raise the pressure a bit but in most rounds I'd guess it wouldn't matter. Of course it does make a difference what kind of load we're taking about. It would make a much larger difference in 9mm's small case vs 38 special.

A high pressure rifle load under a max charge might cause slight problems but I highly doubt an explosion would result from one extra primer. Smokeless powder doesnt explode, it deflagrates. A case full of primers and powder might be a different story.

Additionally I can't imagine it would get stuck in the bore. It would either be blown out with the rest of the gases or if positioned at the end of the case maybe get ejected out with the spent brass. If some how the primer ended up sitting in the bore it wouldn't cause any obstruction. It would get blown out with the column of air in front of the next bullet. In order to create an obstruction you'd need something larger than a primer.

FrankenMauser

Simple solution to all of the above:

Don't put primers where they don't belong!

Pay attention, or stop reloading.
Those are the only safe options.

joed

Thank you! After reading the post this was the first thing that entered my mind. If you can get a primer (along with powder) inside a case you better take a serious look at your reloading technique.

chasep255

What happened is that the other day I had a few primers fell out of the container and onto the floor. I thought I found all of them, but yesterday when I started a new batch I found one in my tray which makes me a little nervous. I am 99.9% sure though that the primer did not make it into any of the cases. This is because when I reload I start by priming all my brass and place them FACE DOWN into the tray so that nothing can fall into it. After that I combine loading the powder and seating the bullet into one step rather than two so that I don't have a bunch of face up open cases with powder in them. I guess this prevents accidental double loading and keeps things from falling into the cases.

PA-Joe

I have always found it helpful to place all of the powdered rounds right side up in a loading block where I can check for consistent powder depth. Then I seat all the bullets.

g.willikers

:D
Some of youse guys must sit up all night just thinking of What If questions.
Just in the interest of conversation, how would getting a primer mixed in with powder or dropped in an empty case even happen?

Longshot4

Come on!

It would be a simple acer to such a question if only you made a effort to read a few manuals.

The simple acer is DON'T DO IT!

BigJimP

I doubt it would detonate...( but I echo the idea of watch what you're doing better ! )

I understand accidents happen...you spill primers, etc.../ but good practices about where you are handling primers is part of the "plan" on reloading.

T. O'Heir

What do you think will explode? Smokeless powder is not an explosive. In any case, there should be no way for an errant primer to get into a case. You should be visually inspecting your cases after charging 'em anyway.
"...just thinking of What If questions..." Only one that matters is, "What if we run out of beer?" snicker.

Nick_C_S

Broken Record

Yep. ^That.^

The question is an interesting speculation. But it's little more than that. If any of your processes lend themselves to the OP's hypothetical, then you need to change your processes. I pondered the question and applied it to my processes - it's a virtual impossibility.

I started reloading 3 years back and my one OCD-ness about reloading is to always account for every primer I remove from the packaging. I don't want to leave one on the floor and suck it into the vacuum and I sure don't want a live one wandering around on the bench.

WhyteP38

For .223 Rem cases, I don't see how a small rifle primer could get inside, accidentally or intentionally. The neck is too narrow.

For .45 ACP, a large pistol primer could get inside accidentally, but good reloading discipline would discover it before it became a problem. You'd see it before dropping powder on it.

Other caliber cases? I can't say for sure, except that, again, good reloading discipline would discover it before it became a problem. Any case mouth big enough to let a primer fall inside is big enough to let you see the primer before dropping powder on it.

Without good reloading discipline, your potential problems will be more significant and more likely than errant primers in your cases.

Nick_C_S

I started reloading 3 years back and my one OCD-ness about reloading is to always account for every primer I remove from the packaging. I don't want to leave one on the floor and suck it into the vacuum and I sure don't want a live one wandering around on the bench.

Among my processes too. Every primer present and accounted for.

And . . .

I view the inside of all my cases (staged in loading blocks) prior to charging with powder (as well as after, of course).

Chainsaw.

Ill tell you how it can happen, cause I was a dumb dumb last night and almost pulled it off. Dillon xl650, primers ran out so I used the pick up tube went to put them in the feed tube on the machine when they puked out all over the machine. I had forgotten to put the pin in the end of the tube. They dumped all over the machine. Thankfully I thought of this thread and so I checked all the cases (9mm) but thankfully none had made it into the cases but Im sure they could have.