Can a parkerized gun be refinished in blue?

James K

Member In Memoriam
It requires a lot of polishing and usually means markings are pretty well wiped out. I don't recommend it.

Jim

Well, not exactly. Alternatively the parker finish can be sandblasted off and the gun blued. It'll be like the rough finish you find on the Remington 870 Express Model.

Like Jim, I'd leave the parkerized finish on.

JK

A side note-if you are just looking for a black finish, this can be obtained by parkerizing the firearm and then after rinsing off the parts, putting the parkerized parts right into the bluing salts. Then just blue as usual. I don't know if the parkerized parts can be blued after the parkerizing has been on the firearm for awhile. John K

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, (Other) JK.

I didn't suggest that because usually the Parkerizing has picked up so much oil that it is hard to get a good bluing over it. If the oil can be removed with some combination of solvent (alcohol?) and boiling, that will work, but remember that the reason for Parkerizing is that it retains oil, so it does not give it up easily.

Hi, Gary,

Obviously, sand blasting will work, but it also obliterates markings, so it depends a bit on what is wanted. If only a shooter is involved, a few markings more or less won't matter, but if one wants, say, to try to restore a Parkerized Model 1911 pistol to something like the original blue, heavy polishing or sand blasting will do a lot of damage. In the process of "sporterizing" (I plead guilty) I reblued a fair number of Model 1903A3's by polishing off the Parkerizing and sometimes there was almost nothing left of the model number markings or barrel markings when I got the last of the Parkerizing off.

Jim