Can a 9x19 firearm chamber (not fire) any other caliber??

Contrast Man

I went to the range today and wanted to pick up a box or two of 9x18 because I haven't shot my CZ-82 in awhile. They were out of 9 makarov but had some surplus looking ammo under the 9x18 label (yes, they have separate labels). They offered to let me take a round to the range and see if it chambered properly. Alas, it did not chamber, too long. However, it did chamber in my CZ-75B 9mm. I didn't fire it, just curious to see if it would chamber. My question is are there any other calibers that will successfully chamber in a 9mm or will only 9mm chamber properly?

TL;DR Are there any other calibers that can successfully chamber in 9mm aside from 9mm?

* 9mm refers to 9x19

James K

Member In Memoriam
9x18 Ultra (aka 9mm Police) has a bit longer case than 9mm Makarov but is smaller in diameter. It was chambered in a couple of limited production pistols, the most common being the Walther PP Super.

It will fit into a 9x19 chamber but is too short to headspace properly and not powerful enough to function most 9x19 pistols.

Jim

Contrast Man

It could have been, I've never heard of that caliber before honestly. The headstamp on the rounds were fairly useless. The brass was darker and a bit dull, and there was a bit of sealant on the primer and bullet which I've typically seen from other surplus ammo. I was hoping it was going to be some surplus 9x19, but this 9x18 Ultra sounds like the more likely option. I appreciate the info as always everyone!

Theohazard

.380 will chamber and fire in some 9mms. I shot a guy's 9mm Kimber Solo using .380 (he just handed me the loaded mag and I didn't check it). The first round chambered and fired just fine, but of course it didn't cycle the action. The next round didn't chamber properly; it popped off the extractor and just went loose into the chamber. By this time I figured something weird was going on so I unloaded the pistol and figured out he had loaded the mag with the wrong ammo.

On some guns the extractor can hold the round in place even if it's not properly headspaced. I once shot (purposefully) a whole box of .45 GAP through a Glock 21 without a single malfunction. The Glock extractor held the shorter round in place even though it couldn't properly headspace in the chamber. I'd bet that a .380 would chamber and fire in a Glock 9mm just fine, though it of course wouldn't cycle the action due to the lower recoil.

9x18 Makarov cannot chamber in a 9x19 pistol. Both the bullet and the case diameter are too large.

I have fired .380 ACP through both 9x19 and .38 Super barrels. Doesn't work well at all out of the 9x19 -- the .380 case is actually enough smaller in diameter that there's a lot of blowback, resulting in not enough recoil energy to cycle the slide. It worked a little better in the .38 Super barrel because that chamber is slightly smaller than the 9x19 (but still larger than the .380 should be).

I don't know of anything other than .380 that can be fired through a 9x19 barrel/firearm.