Calling all Gunsmiths (and others in the know) consider this project

Waterengineer

OK, first let me say I like my guns original and untampered just like I like my cars in restored, original condition.

Now with that said, I am looking to start a dialogue with the intelligensia of TFL.

I have a "close to new" (say less than 20 rounds down the tube) 7mm RUM, Remington M700 CDL, synthetic/stainless. I purchased the gun from a friend who is a family man that has fallen on hard financial times in this economy.

I have tried to sell the gun a few time. After I purchased it I found the "world" has basically abandoned the round thus making the ammo price tough to swallow when you can find it. (Yes, I know reloading is an option. I am considering it.)

Anyway I am thinking about reconfiguring the gun in a more practical round. I am stumped because I don't know enough about the cartridge geometry and corresponding reciever dimensions. Of course I have questions.

1. Is the receiver the same length as, say, the 30-06. Or, is it longer.

2. I'm assuming the bolt face is "magnum" diameter, true? WHat other magnum cases will work in this reciever?

3. Can this receiver be made to work with a Weatherby case? (I'm thinking not.)

4. What does a new ss barrel and smith work cost?

5. I'm looking for other caliber ideas for up to moose in the 30 caliber + class.

Thanks.

Claude Clay

if you already reload other rifle calibers its cost effective to add another.

and if you sell the rifle with dies & brass [cause its a orphan caliber]
it makes for an attractive package deal.

good luck

PetahW

[1. Is the receiver the same length as, say, the 30-06. Or, is it longer.] - I believe it's longer than the standard/.30-06 length.

[2. I'm assuming the bolt face is "magnum" diameter, true?] [ Not exactly true. The RUM case head is marginally larger than a belted mag ( .539" vs .531" IIRC) - but the slight difference might not be enough to matter.

[WHat other magnum cases will work in this reciever?] - Any RUM-cased chambering, like a rebore to .338 RUM.

3. Can this receiver be made to work with a Weatherby case? (I'm thinking not.) - Possibly. The WM OAL is slightly shorter then a RUM's, and the case head is a few ten-thousandth's smaller, so it should fit "OK", but may/may not feed properly due to the difference in cartridge case shapes at the shoulder vs the feed lip area of the action.

4. What does a new ss barrel and smith work cost? - New barrels cost anywhere from cheap for a takeoff barrel, to "sky's the limit" for a custom barrel; ditto for gunsmiths - not all 'smiths are created equal.

5. I'm looking for other caliber ideas for up to moose in the 30 caliber + class. - While a 7mm isn't exactly a "30 caliber + class", it's also not far off that mark - certainly no Moose will ever know the difference.
I would simply use it "as is" with premium ammo, either reloaded or bought, like Barnes and/or Berger slugs, etc.

Last edited:

mapsjanhere

Considering that you will not shoot several hundred RUM rounds a day (unless you look like Arnold), a basic Lee reloading kit for $100 would be the better alternative to rebarreling the gun. Add $100 for dies and a starting set of brass and you're in business. You're looking at $200 minimum for a decent barrel job, for comparison, ER Shaw charges $340 for a 700 barrel installed and blued.

HiBC

From your story,you did not select this rifle/cartridge to fill a want or a niche,you were helping someone out.
It is a fairly specialized cartridge.
You get to decide if you want to follow the path to use it.
That might mean investing more.Are you interested in reloading,or will you set up to reload just for this rifle?
If you want to go moose hunting,is this the sort of cartridge you would choose,or are you compromising for the rifle's benefit?
I have heard the most popular moose cartridge in Scandanavia is the 6.5x55.Well shot,a long,heavy 6.5 bullet at modest velocity will penetrate .

I have never hunted moose.My fantasy is it is usually stalk to fairly close range,and hit them well enough they do not make it to the water.
Where there are moose,there are often bears.
To my way of thinking,something from the .338-06 ,35 whelen,,etc family is good and I think the .338 Win might be excellent.

If you do decide it is a cartridge you will reload,you certainly can.Realize that with very large cased small bore cartridges,there is a lot of room to make pressure,and a small hole to let it out.It is not a cartridge to hotrod or experiment with.Stay with the recomended loads in the book and you'll be fine.
No good deed goes unpunished :)
Bread cast upon the water comes back soggy:)
There are a pair of buns for every seat.Somebody out there is combing the shops and crying for a 7mm RUM.
You might find him with this thread.

GeauxTide

+1 Mapsjanhere

I suspect that you're also looking a an alteration of the bolt to accomodate a smaller 2.5 inch magnum case. If I were younger and didn't have a cervical disc problem, I'd stick with the 7UM. A 175gr 7mm at 3000+ is very stout for any lower 48 game.

HiBC

One other option to consider(up to you).It depends on the nature of the friendship and what your friends future looks like

Sometimes,just putting it on the shelf as loan security can be good.Maybe in 3 years you will be sipping something with him and he'll say"Doggone,I wish I still had that rifle.."

\In my circle,these things happen.

Waterengineer

Thanks to all who chimed in. My thoughts were pretty well confirmed but I wanted to ask the question(s) to see if I was missing anything.

I will be keeping the gun in original form, in modified. As it sits it overlaps with several other rifles I own. I doubt I will load for it because the case size, I don't know we'll see perhaps I will get curious.

And, yes HiBC, LOL, no good deed goes unpunished.