Calling all Beretta 87 owners!

HKFan9

I was looking into getting a .22 semi auto after just purchasing an old S&W model 17 k-22 revolver a few months back. I bought the revolver because
1) I didn't yet own a .22 pistol
2) Got a great deal on it
3) I cant hunt with a semi auto in PA
4) I forgot how much fun the .22 really is, no wonder I own 6 rifles chambered in it.:rolleyes:

I know the standard .22 semi's are always the Ruger Mk I/II/III and the Browning Buck Mark, but I like to be different.

I don't want a target pistol, just something to plink around with that is affordable compared to 9mm and up.

I wanted to hear the good/bad/ugly about the NON target Beretta 87, I guess its called the Cheetah model.

Any feed back is great!

Happy Holidays!:)

Last edited:

HKFan9

I forgot to mention I was planning on selling a Varmint Rifle and scope set up I don't use anymore to fund this, also part may be my Xmas present.

The price on them are a little steep, but I know if I got the Ruger I would end up spending that much upgrading it anyways, atleast thats what happened to my 10/22. Ruger has too much stuff available for them if there is ever such a thing. =)

ZEN.45

I used to have a S&W Model 17, and I regret selling it (I'm actually looking to buy another one).

I believe that if you also get a Beretta 87, you will have the perfect set of rimfire handguns.

You asked for the good/bad/ugly about the 'Cheetah':

GOOD
- reliable (works with everything I tried so far, even when it gets dirty)
- easy to maintain (strips like any other modern auto)
- double action
- precision is better than you would expect from such a little gun
- quality materials (all steel) and finish
- it's fun

BAD
- expensive (you can have two other good rimfire handguns for the same money,
but I would never trade mine for two others)
- magazines are also expensive

UGLY
- it's not ugly, it's gorgeous

Here is mine:

PSP

If I could find one at a good price I'd jump on it. In a compromise move move, I recently bought a Firestorm FS22. It is far from the quality of the Beretta.:( I've seen these around $569 lately and I'm real tempted.

StuntManMike

I had one and it was the finest dedicated 22lr pistol I had ever owned. I highly recommend them. The only reason I sold mine was to get a kadet conversion for my CZ as that allows me to train with the same controls and balance as my primary defense handgun.

HK9, what Zen.45 said except to be accurate I'd add that while it's a great plinker, it's not very accurate in terms of a dedicated gun. Buckmark or Ruger Mark III, unmodified and half the price, is easy to get 1 inch groups at 10 yards offhand out of....my 87, although easier to use, shoots anything, and easier to clean, will only get about 2.5 inches at the same distance, best I can shoot.

For decent accuracy plinking, Ruger Mark II or III standard 4" barrel iron sights would be my choice, although I've been eyeing the Walther P22's lately....they look fun at a small price. For better accuracy than that, a Beretta 87 target (only a little higher priced than the nontarget) or Beretta 89, or Buckmark fancied out and with a red dot would be my choice.

HKFan9

My other question was, does anyone make aftermarket grips for the 87? I guess's I'll do my own research on that but I was hoping to see some nice pics if anyone has some custom grips on one out there. I'm not really too interested in a target pistol, more like a nice semi auto to just enjoy. The only part that is stopping me in the price tag however.