Callahan Firing Pin assembly for Remington 700 ADL SA.........questions......

rantingredneck

I'm about ready (I think) to swap out the firing pin and bolt shroud assembly on my Remington 700 ADL .243 Win.

It's one of the later models with the ISS. My earlier LA ADL in .30-06 is not burdened with the ISS and has a VERY nice trigger out of the box. From what I've read swapping the bolt shroud/firing pin assembly out can help smooth and lighten the pull even without messing with the trigger??

My questions:

1) What are the advantages/disadvantages with the traditional Callahan unit vs. one with the aluminum FP? I understand faster lock time with the aluminum, but what about long term wear and tear?

2) How hard is it to disassemble the remington 700 bolt? I've never done this before and I understand there is a special tool for this purpose. Do I need to drop the 30-40 bucks on the tool or can it effectively be accomplished without it?

3) Does this swap help with the trigger at all or is that more internet BS that I've stumbled across?

By the way, I'm not building precision tactical super whizbang rigs here, just looking to improve upon one of my hunting rifles........:)

Jimro

Taking apart the Rem 700 bolt to components does not need a special tool. The special tool is there to make it easier. Google the "bootlace and dog tag" method.

Jimro

rantingredneck

Any further feedback on this?

I'm probably gonna order in the next couple of days. Leaning heavily toward the standard (non-aluminum) setup. Anyone want to talk me into the aluminum version?