Call me crazy

presspics

I've been buying, shooting, competing with and carrying guns for almost 30 years. I have owned almost every handgun out there throughout the years and that's no lie. I buy and sell as much as I shoot...and no matter what I always end up back at the inexpensive guns as my favorites! I've owned top of the line 1911's, custom Browning Hi Powers, Dozens of SIGs, HK's, S&W's, Walthers, Colt's but I always go back to being happiest with a S&W Sigma and a Ruger P345 as my favorite guns...They are affordable, reliable, accurate and good looking....What I have learned from all of this is that you don't need an expensive gun to be well protected and that some of the least expensive guns available are some of the best guns available..

Cheapshooter

What I have learned from all of this is that you don't need an expensive gun to be well protected and that some of the least expensive guns available are some of the best guns available..

+1

And my inexpensive firearms like my Milsurps, Heritage Rough Rider, P22 and others are just as much fun to shoot as the ones I own that cost a great deal more!
I have full confidence in my LCP for deep concealment, and don't think I need one of the more expensive mouse guns. While not considered "cheap", my SA XD40 Subcompact is perfectly reliable, and I have no need for a top of the line exclusive pistol for CCW.
High priced guns may have a high price resale value, but I don't sell guns, I buy, and shoot them. Everything I have is a shooter, none are collectors!
You're not crazy, just have enough sense to not be a "gun snob".

9mm1033

Sounds like you had the high costs, hot blonde with the slim sexy body who can cook, but her meals were not really tasty. Now you have the plain Jane, not real stylist, brown haired gal who is an excellent cook, better than any chef, but serves you much better. Both provide a vital service, but which meets your personal fancy? It's for you to make the call, not us. To each his own. :D

presspics

9mm1033, that's funny, you hit my personal life right on the head!! There is definitely something better about a brunette that is more versatile at this point in my life :D

shrewd

I was with you until you said sigma.

I havn't fires too many handguns, but i can't imagine choosing my buddy's sigma over my roomie's m&p or my cz75

Leejack

The OP didn't say the sigma was better, just that he was happy with it.

I have zero problem shooting it well, and it just doesn't stop working.

presspics

Thanks for the kind words Leejack,

Like Leejack said, I am not saying that the less expensive guns are better. But, they are just as good in their role as the more expensive guns. If someone was to put 4 guns on a table in front of me and say I could have any one that I wanted then a few variables would need to be considered. Let's say an HK USP 45, SIG P229, Brand New Glock 19 and a S&W SW9VE. I'd have to consider that I live in Massachusetts and HK's and New Glocks are not allowed to be sold in this state. The SIG and S&W are available new in this state so those 2 guns would be right out of my decision since I can get them any time that I want. The Glock and HK would be where I would focus. The HK would be re-sellable for the highest price so I would probably go with that one.

Now, if I lived in a free state and someone were to say to me you have a choice between an HK USP 45 for $900 or 3 Sigmas valued at $900 then I would go with the 3 Sigmas.

SW40F

presspics said:
I've been buying, shooting, competing with and carrying guns for almost 30 years. ...What I have learned from all of this is that you don't need an expensive gun to be well protected and that some of the least expensive guns available are some of the best guns available..
You have found what works for you, and this sets you apart from those who still search... We should each be as secure and content after our own journeys.

AZAK

A couple of years ago I bought a NIB Ruger P345 and a NIB Colt Commander. Took both out to the range and low and behold the 345 was far more accurate than the Colt.

I actually sent the Colt back to the factory including the targets from that day.* This particular Colt had a total of four different issues that had to be resolved. When it came back I found that they did a very nice job "tightening" that puppy up; it now out shot the P345. (Posted about this here, a while back.)

Absolutely nothing wrong with a Ruger P345. I really like them. Ruger did a great job with this model. It does not get the recognition, say as the current "hi-cap" Ruger models or their little itty-bitty pocket guns, that it deserves.

It really is YMMV. Myself in recent years have been moving more towards an interest in accuracy. And my choice of what sits in my safe and what I shoot reflects this. I now have fewer guns than a few years ago; however, they are noticeably more accurate. I seem to spend more money on good gunsmiths than new firearms in recent years.

I personally will not own a Sigma. Trigger is just not "nice" enough for what I like to do with a handgun at this point in my life. Again, YMMV.

*I have several Colts, this is the only one which has had any problems, at all. I actually really prefer Colts especially when "worked on" by some good smiths.