Californians: What will be your "end of the year" purchase?

kalibear45

Okay, 2003 is just around the corner and I'm sure all of you have a handgun or two you are planning to buy before the end of the year.

So what will it be?

Mine will be some sort of high-priced 1911 (Valtro, STI, Les Baer?) and probably another Glock in 9mm. Holy cow, only 2 months to go! :mad:

Airwolf

Effective January 1, 2003, replaces the Basic Firearm Safety Certificate (BFSC) Program with the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) Program. To obtain an HSC, an applicant must be at least 18 years of age and pass a written test administered by a DOJ-certified instructor. The DOJ is required to produce HSC instructional materials in English and in Spanish. Once an HSC is issued by a DOJ- certified instructor, it is valid for five years. Test applicants will be subject to a DOJ fee of $15 and a instructor service fee of up to $10, for a total HSC fee not to exceed $25. Prior to January 1, 2003, the maximum BFSC fee is $20 (PC 12800-12808).

Effective January 1, 2003, provides that no firearms dealer may deliver a handgun unless the recipient has a valid HSC or is exempt (pursuant to PC section 12807) from the HSC requirement. The firearms dealer is required to retain a photocopy of the handgun recipient’s HSC as proof of compliance. Any firearms dealer who fails to comply may be removed from the Centralized List of Firearms Dealers and punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in state prison, or by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000). With specified exceptions, any loan of a handgun requires that the recipient has a valid HSC. Failure to comply is a misdemeanor (PC 12072 (c) (5)(B).

Effective January 1, 2003, provides that no firearms dealer may deliver a handgun without first requiring the recipient of that handgun to correctly and properly perform a safe handling demonstration with that handgun. The firearms dealer is required to retain an affidavit signed by himself/herself and the handgun recipient as proof of compliance. Failure to comply may result in removal of the firearms dealer from the Centralized List of Firearms Dealers. Persons who are exempt for the HSC requirement are also exempt from the safety handling demonstration requirements (PC 12071(b)(8).

Effective January 1, 2003, requires each person taking delivery of a firearm from a firearms dealer to provide his/her right thumbprint on the Dealers Record of Sale form (PC 12077).

Effective January 1, 2003 requires each firearms dealer delivering a handgun to obtain proof of residency from the handgun recipient. Satisfactory proof of residency may include a utility bill from within the three months prior to the delivery, a residential lease, a property deed, military permanent duty station orders indicating assignment within this state, or other evidence of residency as permitted by the DOJ. The firearms dealer is required to retain the residency documentation as proof of compliance. Failure to comply may result in removal of the firearms dealer from the Centralized List of Firearms Dealers (PC 12071 (b)(8) (C).

Effective January 1, 2003, requires all firearms dealers to report all Dealers Record of Sale transactions electronically via computer. Telephone reporting will no longer be an option. The DOJ will provide necessary equipment to firearms dealers for electronic reporting. The firearm recipient’s identification number, name, and date of birth will be obtained by running the recipient’s identification card or driver’s license through a magnetic strip read er. Exceptions will be made for military identification cards (PC 12077).

Boils down to taking (and paying for) a new test to replace the current BFSC (including ex-mil), having to show proof of residency (beyond a DL), thumbprint, "safe handling" demonstration of each handgun purchased. Oh, and electronic registration of each sale with the state :mad: :mad:

Dawgry

Question

In reading your post I picked up on the verbage of delivery of a handgun after 1/1/03.
If I were to purchase a handgun, do the DROS and all other paperwork prior to 1/1/03 but would no be able to pick the gun up after 1/1/03 (due to 10 day wait, missed let's say by 4 days) will I have to hace a HSC to pick up my handgun?
:eek: :barf:

Kermit

I wasn't planning on anymore guns for awhile, then I learned of the new laws come 1/1/03. Maybe a wheelgun is in my future.

kalibear45

Dawgry

No.

But the 30 day expiration period still pertains. You have to pickup the gun in 30 days from when it was DROSed or you have to register it again.

Oracle

Whew! Are you sure that there isn't anything about giving a pint of blood, your firstborn child, or maybe your soul involved in purchasing a firearm? I'd read the fine print very carefully :).

kahrma

I think I will buy 10-12 pre-ban evil hi cap autos and a half dozen revolvers that don't include spent casings just to rub Kali's nose in the pure decadence of it all! Oh! Yeah!:D

Remind me to move to CA REAL soon!:barf:

Just what the hell is going on in that state of yours?:confused:

I think I'll but some "assult" rifles as well, just because I can. I will buy them off a private party and STILL be perfectly legal!

Back home again in Indiana!

Prodigalshooter

I'm trying real hard not to buy one of the Makarovs that are around now.;)

I do want another 1911 of some sort, though and then there's the...
well you get the idea.

SteveC

End of the year arrived early...

...the shopping season ended when I came across a really good deal on a Springfield.

Though I guess, if a wad of money fell on my lap, I would probably buy some small CCW "beater" pistol like a G26.

Ratters

I was planning on two, but I think I'll just have enough money to get one. I think I'm going to go with a Super Redhawk in .44 and put a scope on it. Something big and stupid to go with the rest of them. I already have most everything I want, so now it is just "lark" guns.

The other would be a HK USP.45, but what they are asking for them is pretty outrageous to me for a polymer pistol.

gunnoob

Some sort of 1911. I was going to wait a while, but the new laws have definitely made the choice more immediate.