California Revolver Nuts, I need info.

joshua

OK, I know I've said I won't be coming back to live in Kalifornia, but relatives and employment may be a factor in coming back to live there. :confused:
Anyhoo... This is what I got from CA DOJ about revolvers: Exemptions on handguns for sale that are not on the CA DOJ approved list.

• Private party transfers of handguns occurring through a firearms dealer. or sheriff’s
department. (Penal Code § 12132(a).)
• Single-action revolvers with at least a five-cartridge capacity, a barrel length of not
less than three inches, and either: (a) were originally manufactured prior to 1900
and are curios or relics, as defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of
Federal Regulations; or (b) have an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of
at least seven and one-half inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are
assembled. (Penal Code § 12133.)

Does that mean the Ruger Super Blackhawk w/ a 4-5/8" barrel is legal to buy?
I went though some gun shops and sporting goods stores and sad to say that a prarie dog at 100 yards centered on my scope's reticle has more knowledge than those clerks did. Oh! one more factor in this was when I was in California, the amount of mom's and pop's gunshops that I knew 10 years, only half of them exist now. :( And I thought the governator would change all tha. josh

FISHNFRANK

I'll fess up, I live there

Joshua

The State Attorney General has a website that has the approved gun list for sale. It's pretty extensive - most handguns are available, they just have to pass a drop test. Semi's have to obey the 10 round mag maximum - that does not bug me so much becuase if there were 15 round clips - I'd just shoot up my ammo faster...

The thing that really gets me about living here is the 10 day waiting period - it applies to all guns. It is supposed to be a "cooling off" period, I don't understand if you are already a gun owner, why you have to to through it over and over again? You'd commit a crime with a gun you already had if you were inclined to do so.

There is also a 1 handgun per 30 day law - again, I don't see why. If you already own a bunch of guns, what the hell does if matter if you buy, sell or trade more frequently? I think they don't want people "straw purchasing" for others and maybe that is why this law exists.

Bottom line - move back to CA. We need some more conservatives in the state. Be vocal about your guns rights if you move here and for God's sake, stay out of SF or LA counties and you'll be happy

(The really bad thing - home prices have tripled since you moved away, I'm not kidding)

Frank

joshua

FISHNFRANK, I concur with the 3x prices on houses. In SF I saw an advertisement for a house in the Geneva area for a 4 bedroom 3 bath with 3 car garage for $1.5 million :eek:, Holy smokes! Those houses were in the 600K 14 years ago. A lot of the houses in Vallejo are up there too. My sister's house purchase in the mid 90s for 420K is now appraised at $800K. It's amazing how high realty appreciated to, but I see some signs for sale, but no one seems to be buying.

Back to my topic, I was looking over the list and I did not find any single action revolvers. By reading this I'm thinking I can walk into a gunshop and buy or order a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 4 and 5/8" barrel.

Jim March

The reason for the "7.5" thing was to exclude mini-revolvers from the SA exemption.

There are a few SA combinations that are borderline. Beretta's "Stampede Marshall" built on an SAA-class frame, 3.5" barrel and the Lightning grip frame might not meet spec, and I think there are similar Cimarron setups.

Ruger's 3.5" barrel "Sheriff's Model" Bird's-Head Vaqueros on the 44Mag-class frame are OK - barely. But when Ruger shipped the Bird's-Head Single Six, they did a 4.68" barrel specifically to be OK under these California rules. Do a barrel chop on such a piece or otherwise mod your gun so that you're under the 7.5" length limit and you can still own it, and sell it private party, but a dealer can't resell it in-state.

Remember: the 7.5" length is measured PARALLEL to the barrel, not diagonal barrel tip to grip pommel.

Slopemeno

People love to make it sound bad, but its not that desperate.

In a 30-40 minute drive radius of downtown SF theres quite a few ranges, both indoor and outdoor. Yes, theres been a turnover of the good shops in the Bay Area, but theres still good ones out there. Heres an example: Helms House of Guns in Santa Rosa. I was cruising through there one day and whoa, 870 in 18" with an extension, and the bead-on-base that I prefer. $140bucks..lets put that one on the counter while we browse some more. Uh-oh, a 77 in .458..oh man, it's only $400 bucks.. better stop now.

Yeah, the gunshows suck, but they have since the early 90's. Drive to the Reno one though- thats amazing, and only three hours away.

The approved list...doesnt really matter too much to me. I tend to buy used anyway, and a lot of the new stuff doesnt really do it for me. My ex-employer did quite a bit of the testing for the first couple of go-arounds for the list, BTW. Interesting series of tests.

Real estate. My wifes an agent actually. You get sorta numb to it after a while. We're doing a deal to buy and rehab a victorian right now, lesse, sign the loan papers, a cool million two..ouch. If you can afford it its not a bad deal becuase it just keeps climbing up. I'm glad I'm not just starting out right now though.

joshua

Siopemeno, Hey I'm always looking for deals that you mentioned. Those prices you mentioned sounds like a time warp to the early 90s.

Is this the place, Helm's House of Guns 880 Piner Rd? I need to make a road trip. You say you live in Pittsburg, but Reno is only 3 hours away? When I'm in California I'm in Vallejo and it still takes me almost 4 hours to Reno :D. You got a Ferrari? Well my mom remarked that I drive like an old lady... :D Believe me, my mom gets more tickets than me, I have nada when it comes to tickets (Josh knockin' on wood). :D

Thanks for the verification and info. I can't wait to tell my wife I'm getting a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel in SS. Yup! I want another wrist twister.

Maybe someone can tell me where to hunt for deer, feral hogs and good fishin' holes.

josh

Slopemeno

No, my wifes Toyota actually.

You just have to look around and be ready when the deal appears. I think that goes for most everything in life.

Right, Helms "H.O.G" as we used to call it. Other places are Northbay Firearms (formerly Montana Hawk), Andersens Gunsmithing in Petaluma, Bullseye indoor range in San Rafael, etc. Theres actually quite a few resources out there. Seems to me that people open the phone book to San Francisco, see nothing, and think there IS nothing there.

aligator

There are two good gun shops with indoor ranges in Vacaville.Guns, fishing and other stuff, Butcher rd. and the shooting gallery, Leisure town rd.