California Resident Wants to Build a 22lr from an 80% AR Receiver

joshua

Are there any restrictions in completing an 80% AR15 receiver in the state of California? I've read that I wouldn't be able to sell the receiver or complete rifle due to reasons I am not aware of. I looked over the regulations, but I can't find anything that covers home made firearms. Any info will be greatly appreciated. josh

Gator Monroe

Uh. No I plan on Using it during my Vacation !LOL ... How many posters here have EVER transported a Firarm in their Auto over state lines for any reason ? and Gun running indicates the firearm would be for sale when it gets to where it's runnin too ????:eek:

joshua

But what does that got to do with my thread? :rolleyes: I need info on regulations that may restrict me from building my own receiver for a 22lr rifle. josh

Gator Monroe

Buy A carbon 15 (You will not have to Bastardize your Upper or Lower to California Specs. RIMFIRES are Exempt from AWB HERE ! Just stay in the 10 to 15 Round mag Capacity Range (No Banana Clips) and the 22 Kits seem to be Expensive when including them into an AR building process (Then there are other issues that may arrise)

joshua

I should've posted my main objective. I want to make my own receiver from an 80% casting for a project. The build is more important than the ownership. Later on I want to make my own receiver from barstock, once I can afford a CNC mill (yeah, right). I just want to know the legality of it in the state of California. I'm just going to do this for me as a learning experience. I'm afraid if California can't bust me against any firearm regulations they may do it with some type of manufacturing outside the zone or some BS crapolla that I'll end up not reading. I appreciate your inputs and I will consider your advice. :cool: josh

mako8551

DO it this way

Not the way to go about it.

Buy an off list AR receiver legally (if you don’t know what that is do a google search) at a gun show and register it. If you finished one yourself you would still have to take it in get it registered and explain everything 10 times to 5 people. WAY too complicated.

Wait your 10 days and build you 22 out of it. Because it is a 22 lr you should be able to put whatever you want on it. HOWEVER:

Without the 22lr upper on it. It would be and assault rifle under CA law if it had a pistol grip, or a colapsable stock on it. I know it would be a functional gun but just a receiver w/ a pistol grip on it is an assault weapon in CA. Go fig.

joshua

Who are these 5 different people that I need to talk to? That is exactly who I'm looking for.

Anyway, I was hoping someone will say, look at CA Penal Code 666 and it states, if you carve or filed a block of metal into a functioning gun you have to register it through this 666 office and pay $10. Additional restrictions with home made firearm included are: it is a no-no to sell it, give, lend, and blassi, blah, blah, blah... Anyone have an answer. josh

joshua

Although it may be a lesser headache just to buy an off list lower, I have my mind set on making it myself. I'll keep researching until I get the answer. Thanks. josh