California FFL Requirments!

LDSGJA

So, I was tinkering with the idea of running an FFL out of my house. The final bill for the ALL the paperwork/BS that I can anticipate, assuming I get local Zoning approval to run out of my house is $672!

$200 - ATF, FFL License
$57 - City Business License (If approved for FFL sales in Residential Zone)
$100 - HSC Instructor Training
$22 - COE Application
$32 - COE calif. DOJ fingerprint Fee
$24 - COE FBI fingerprint Fee
$17 - Location Livescan Fee
$20 - California FFL Listing Fee
$95 - California DOJ Inspection Fee
$95 - DROS Drivers License Magnetic Strip Reader
$3 - Estimated postage to mail everything
$? - Other random fees I don't know about
$672 - Total

Course I also need a fire-safe to store any weapons in, and if I want to incorporate the business that will cost too. Plus I may have to pay a deposit to the California Franchise tax board for estimates sales tax.

Many of these fees are annual, or at best due every few years. No wonder I can't find anyone running an FFL out of the house. Seems to me this is just a way to limit gun sales simply by wrapping FFLs in red tape: the state does its own FBI background check in addition to the ATF check, charging $95 a year for the inspection that they hardly ever do, charging $20 to list the FFL, when you already register as an FFL when you do the COE. Its just red tape . . .

Not too sure about pursuing this, but I might seek local zoning approval first to see what happens there.

Musketeer

If $672 in start up fees are going to kill your gun business then I don't see much of a future.

Having seen people 20 years ago with FFLs in FL who had no business dealing in firearms I don't see much of a problem with what you posted if it keeps those who have no business dealing firearms out.