Calif. magazine restrictions

John D

Does anyone know the legal status of using pre-ban magazines in California. For example, I have a .22 Featherlite rifle that has a 20 round magazine (that's what it came with originally)...if I'm using this and approached by someone in law enforcement, can it be confiscated? Or, my friend has a Ruger 85 with a 15-round magazine...same question? What about those pre-ban 30 round magazines for Ruger .22 carbines?

I'm a revolver guy (mostly) and these are the only "magazine issues" I have at the moment. Although, I'm thinking about a Ruger .223 ranch rifle and have access to pre-ban mags...

Destructo6

Legally, you have to have had possession of the >10rnd mags prior to Jan 1, 2000. Those you had at that point were grandfathered and are okay for now. How they could tell, I don't know, but the penalty is a misdemeanor/felony floater.

Tube magazines for rimfires are exempt.

RANash

Destructo6 is correct. As long as they were yours prior to 1/1/00, you can keep them and use them. You cannot sell them in California, however, or even give them away, except to someone who is exempt from the 10-round limit (LEO and military).

No one will bother you about providing proof that they were yours prior to 1/1/00.

amalgam

been wondering..........

this seems a good time to ask:

what about someone who lived in CA in 1997/1998, then moved away? if he moves back to CA, the hicaps he had in CA in 1997/1998 are good to go, right?

I havent researched this, but I've seen several folks say you had to possess them in CA prior to that date.
well, 1997 is prior to that date.

Bruegger

Amalgam - only if you moved back to Kali before 1/1/00. Otherwise, you "imported" the normal capacity magazines into the state.

amalgam

well, then it sounds like you're saying *ON* that date, not *before* that date.

p.s. if I can ever remember exactly who I was describing, I'll let him know. ;)

I know many people who buy "normal capacity" magazines in NV and bring them back into California. The police cannot prove that you didn't have them in your possession prior to 2000. I cannot recommend taking the risk, but so far no one I know has been caught "smuggling" normal-caps into CA. Personally, I would NOT take the risk as any "felony" on your record takes away your gun rights.....

The liberals (crazies) have effectively given the firepower advantage to the perps thanks to this worthless law. Those who have no respect for the law do as they please. They will not let this law stop them from getting "normal capacity" magazines. Those of us who are law abiding are now stuck with (low capacity) 10 round 9mms (as opposed to 15 or 17 round 9mms).

PKAY

Purchase of a stick in CA requires a full background check and disclosure of species, i.e., spruce, fir, pine, laminate. If less than 4 1/2" in overall length, it is banned in Los Angeles. Spruce and fir must undergo destruct testing from a sample of five (5) of the same model. They will be burned, crushed, ground, and chewed. None will be returned. So if you only have one (1) stick, you must obtain four (4) more and submit them to DOJ and never get them back. Further, if you are stopped by Law Enforcement for a traffice violation, you must inform the officer you are in possession of a stick. Your stick must be in a locked container separate and apart from your person. Concealed carry of a stick in CA is banned unless you possess a permit from your local county sheriff or chief of police. The city of Los Angeles has recently passed an ordinance banning wood chips greater than one eighth (1/8") inches in diameter. Anything greater has been called the "chips of choice" for criminals, gang bangers, and gardeners...and the idiocy continues.

Runner

Let me see, no electricity, no reasonable gun laws... Just why would someone choose to live in Kalifornia?

Destructo6

I have several world class raceways within a 2 hours drive. Willow Springs, Pomona, California Speedway, and further out there's Laguna Seca and a couple others around San Francisco. Firebird and that raceway outside of Vegas aren't too far either.

Within a stone's throw, I have Suzuki USA, Erion Racing, FMF, ProCircuit, and dozens others.

If you like to ride motorcycles, there's no where better.

Automotive stuff is pretty similar as well.