Caliber requirements for deer hunting

Win73

I was looking at our Alabama regulations for deer hunting tonight and began to wonder if any other state has ammo requirements that are this liberal. Here are ours.

Rifles using centerfire, mushrooming ammunition.
Handguns or pistols using centerfire, mushrooming ammunition.

There are no further minimums or requirements for rifles or pistols. So that makes just about any centerfire rifle or pistol a legal deer gun. Even my .380 Ruger LCP.

Notice I said legal, not adequate. We are also allowed shotguns and bows, including crossbows. And even spears.

What are your requirements?

ericuda

For deer in Kansas. Centerfire rifles and handguns that are not fully automatic, while using only hard-cast solid lead, soft point, hollow point, or other expanding bullets; shotguns using only slugs. Can also use a suppressor.

Ks also allows crossbows.

Odd, muzzleloaders require a min dia of 0.40 but you could use a 25 auto pisto.

tahunua001

In Idaho we have fairly liberal rules.

1. big game must be taken with centerfire

2. all birds(except grouse which may be taken with any cartridge centerfire or not) must be taken with shot.

3. muzzle loaders must be at least 45 cal for deer and 50 cal for anything larger.

4. crossbows are not allowed for archery season but any form of bow with a certain draw strength is legal.

5. spears, knives, and other blade implements aren't legal.

6. guns weighing in excess of 14 pounds aren't legal(sorry guys, no 50bmgs, and yes that includes optics)

7. no automatically adjusting optics, or optics requiring electrical power for means other than projecting a reticule.

few other provisos but those are the biggies. no limitations on the type of projectiles you're allowed to use.

that's about it. I've hunted deer with 9mms, elk with 6.5 Grendel, grouse with 22lr. if it's sane and legal in this state I've tried it :D

Last edited:

Guggmeister

Finland: smallest game: 22lr ok. Up to but not including deer: 223 ok. deer/moose: 6.5/308 and up. Roughly. The real limits are defined by kinetic energy, bullet weight and type. It's barely possible to load moose-legal 7.62x39 with heavy bullet, for example. Bear had some additional requirements, which I don't remember.

Pistol hunting is prohibited. Pistols are (in hunting context) for "cave hunting" and shooting trapped or wounded animals only.

Win73

I forgot to mention that full auto is not legal for hunting. Also for deer we have a .40 caliber minimum for muzzleloading handguns or rifles.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
That "liberal"?!... that's restrictive as hell! ;)

NY is "centerfire rifle".

Yes, period, end of sentence.

FMJ 17Rem is 100% legal.

For handguns, must be centerfire and barrel at least 5 1/2". Maybe 5", can't remember for sure.

Oddly enough, they do specify that if you use a shotgun it must be at least 20ga.

rickyrick

Texas was center fire for normal season. WA has minimum caliber for bigger game.

I find the caliber restrictions silly; mainly because if someone is using a weapon inappropriate to conditions, they are probably violating some other rule as well.

Another thing that I don't like is when they set minimum rifle requirements, but allow bow hunting.

us920669

Virginia says no shotgun larger than 10 ga, no rifle or handgun below .23 and minimum 350 ft-lbs. Muzzleloader is .45 min but .50 is recommended. Used to be no blaze requirement for muzzleloader but now there is - I always wear it anyway. The full list is quite long and interesting - many Sunday restrictions including no hunting within 200 yards of a church, no exploding head arrows (James Bond beware) and no poison tips, and that goes for your darts too, for all the headhunters out there. It is also unlawful to interfere with lawful hunting.

T. O'Heir

Any centre fire for deer, up here. There are some municipalities that have maximum calibre rules, by the cartridge name. .275 in some, .270 in others. Means a .275 Weatherby is ok, but a .276 Pedersen(not that you'd find that) is not. No handguns at all.
"...no exploding head arrows (James Bond beware)..." Green Arrow. snicker. Arrow heads have a minimum width too.

Crankylove

Utah is any centerfire rifle using an expanding bullet. Shotguns with slugs, and buckshot (there is a minimum size for buckshot, can't remember what it is).

No caliber restrictions for pistols, but there are energy requirement. I believe it's 500 ft lbs at the muzzle for deer/antelope sized critters, and 500 ft lbs at 100 yards for elk/moose/bear, and an expanding bullet.

No light gathering, projecting, or enhancing devices, but suppressor s are legal to hunt with.

Shenna9220

Florida: (rules for private lands)

Resident game birds and mammals:

Rifles, shotguns, pistols, longbows, compound bows, recurve bows, crossbows and birds of prey (falcons, hawks and great horned owls) may be used. Longbows, compound bows and recurve bows must have minimum draw weights of 35 pounds. Hand-held releases may be used. Arrows and bolts used to take deer, turkeys or bears must be equipped with broadheads having at least two sharpened edges with
minimum widths of 7/8 inch. Nonmigratory game can be taken from stationary vehicles. Gray squirrels and rabbits are the only game animals that can be taken with air guns.

Hunting deer and bears with a muzzleloader:

Muzzleloading guns firing single bullets must be at least .40-caliber. Muzzleloading guns firing two or more balls must be 20-gauge or larger.

Migratory game birds:

Shotguns (not larger than 10-gauge) plugged to a three-shell capacity including a one-piece filler that cannot be removed without disassembling the gun and are incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined, birds of prey, bows and crossbows may be used.

Prohibited methods and equipment for taking game

This document doesn’t address or advise persons as to local ordinances prohibiting the discharge of firearms or as to the validity of such ordinances.
Taking migratory game birds with a shotgun capable of holding more than three rounds (plugged)
Centerfire semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds
Nonexpanding full metal case (military ball) ammunition for taking deer and bears
Firearms using rimfire cartridges for taking deer and bears
Rifles or pistols for taking migratory game birds
Fully automatic firearms
Explosive or drug-injecting arrows
Taking or attempting to take game with live decoys, recorded game calls or sounds, set guns, artificial lights, nets, traps, snares, drugs or poisons
Shooting from vehicles, powerboats or sailboats moving under power. Motors must be shut off or sails furled, and the vessel’s progress must cease from such motor or sail before hunters may take game.
Herding or driving game with vehicles, boats or aircraft
Hunting turkeys and bears with dogs
Taking turkeys while they are on the roost
Taking migratory game birds over baited areas
Taking turkeys when the hunter is within 100 yards of a game-feeding station when feed is present
Taking bears when either the hunter or bear is within 100 yards of a game-feeding station when feed is present
Taking spotted fawn deer or swimming deer
Using bows equipped with sights or aiming devices with electronic computational capabilities or light projection (laser) features during any archery season
Using bows with draw weights less than 35 pounds
Using dogs without collars that identify the owners name and address
Using dogs on private lands without written landowner permission (see Statewide deer-dog registration in General Information)
Taking game with modern firearms while hunting during any archery, crossbow or muzzleloading gun season
Placing, exposing or distributing soporific, anesthetic, tranquilizer, hypnotic or similar drugs or chemicals; preparation by baits; or by other means where game birds or game animals may be affected, unless authorized by permit from the FWC executive director

Each WMA has their own set of rules depending on where they are, such as the one nearest me:

Upper Hillsborough:

Guns:

Only shotguns are allowed for hunting during the small game season, except gray squirrel and rabbit may be hunted with air guns.
Only bows, crossbows and shotguns are allowed for hunting during the spring turkey season.
Only shotguns and centerfire handguns are allowed for hunting during the wild hog-dog season.
Hunting at night with a gun is prohibited.
Muzzleloading guns used for taking deer must be .40 caliber or larger, if firing a single bullet, or be 20 gauge or larger if firing 2 or more balls.
Children under the age of 16 hunting with a firearm or air gun must be in the presence of a supervising adult.
No person shall discharge a firearm or have a loaded firearm in hand while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
For hunting non-migratory game, only shotguns, centerfire handguns, muzzleloading guns, bows, crossbows or falconry may be used.
For hunting migratory game, only shotguns, bows, crossbows or falconry may be used. Shotguns shall not be larger than 10 gauge and shall be incapable of holding more than 3 shells in the magazine and chamber combined.
Hunting with full automatic firearms, explosive or drug-injecting devices and set guns is prohibited.
The discharge of a firearm outside of periods open to hunting or in areas closed to hunting is prohibited per s. 790.15 FS.

MikeRussell

Louisiana large game hunting:

--.22cal centerfire and above
--suppressors are legal for hunting
--hogs and "outlaw quadrupeds" may be hunted at night with nightvision or thermal but no lasers
--"Primitive" season allows single shot, breech loading .35cal and larger rifles/shotguns/pistols...muzzle loaders must be .44cal or larger for rifle/pistol, 10ga or smaller for shotguns
--All bow types (including crossbow) are legal as long as the pull weight is over 30lbs.
--Full Metal Jacket ammo is not legal for hunting
--there is no magazine capacity limit

TimSr

I was looking at our Alabama regulations for deer hunting tonight and began to wonder if any other state has ammo requirements that are this liberal.

Count your blessings to live in a state that allows you to use your God given brain and some common sense in selecting an appropriate weapon for yourself.

Loss of the freedom to use your common sense in these matters in the US is usually due to too many incidents of people who do not use it responsibly, and make bad decisions when exercising poor judgment. Such restrictions are usually complaint driven by other hunters.

Win73

Count your blessings to live in a state that allows you to use your God given brain and some common sense in selecting an appropriate weapon for yourself.

Believe me I feel very blessed to live in Alabama. Not only are we allowed to use our own judgement in selecting what we use for deer hunting, but we also have a very liberal deer season. It is three and a half months long with a limit of a buck and a doe a day. There is a three buck season limit. We don't have to worry about tags or checking in our deer that we kill. All we have to do is buy an all game license for $24. And I don't even have to do that because I am over 65.
Our gun and knife laws are very liberal. I walked into the county sheriff's office, they checked me on the computer, I paid them $75, and walked out my my CCW permit good for five years. And we also have open carry. As for as knives, the only thing illegal is a concealed bowie knife. I don't really see me trying to conceal my 16 inch long bowie. My lockback folding hunter does everything I need to do.
The cost of living is low here too.

Gunplummer

I still hunt deer in WV every year. Legal for deer: A centerfire rifle or a rimfire rifle of .25 caliber or larger. In PA it is a manuelly operated centerfire rifle.

Jack O'Conner

Pennsylvania offers a "flintlock only" season for deer. Rear sight can be a receiver or peep sight but no scopes allowed. The hunting can be defined as good or bad depending largely upon weather. For example, one day it was sleeting and our powder would not ignite. So it goes.

Jack

MN. Big Game Rules.

Rifles: minimum> 22 cal center fire only.
Full Auto weaponry: minimum> confiscation. County Sheriff notified.
Pistol: minimum> Haven't a clue.
M/Loader.
Smooth bore: minimum> 45cal.
Rifled bore: minimum> 40 cal.

Water Foul.

Shotgun: minimum> Plug limiting shotgun to 3 shots. No lead shot use.

kraigwy

Believe me I feel very blessed to live in Alabama.

Win 73, you forgot the one thing that would make me move to Alabama.

The CMP's Talladega Range Complex. I attended the CMP Advanced Maint. Class where I put together my special grade M1, then took it to their range to try it out.

Simply amazing. You check in, pay a modest fee, then hop into one of he golf cart standing by, take it to your truck to load up your shooting gear, drive to your firing point. Tell them what distant you want to shoot. They raise the target and you keep track of your hits on the little screen on your point. Then have a ball.

I know, off topic but I had to mention this about Alabama. I couldn't afford the cost of ammo I would need if I lived in Alabama.

So back Wyoming. For deer and antelope we can use any 22 cal center fire as long as the bullet is 60 gr or heavier. Heavier animals, elk and such says .23 cal. meaning the 6 MMs are the smallest.

Pistols have to be a certain length, plus deliver a min. 500 ft lbs of energy at 100 yards.

We are a constitutional carry state. The only thing I've seen about carrying firearms in vehicles, in the Hunting Regs. "Safety dictates firearms should be unloaded in Vehicles".

I don't have one, though I built one for my wife, I believe with proper bullets the 243 is about the most perfect deer round I've seen. If I wasn't so attached to my Win M-70 Featherweight in 257 Rbts. I'd build me a 243 for deer/antelope.

buck460XVR

Many state and local regs are determined by the ethics and the traditions of hunters living there. Many regs are there simply because they always have or haven't been, not that they are effective or conservationally correct. Ethics and humaneness vary so much from state to state that what is considered legal, ethical and traditional in one is considered poaching and low-life in another. Just because it s legal, as the OP has said, and a point we make in every one of the hunter safety classes I help teach, does not make it adequate or ethical. Hunters themselves need to do what is best for the animals they pursue, not only for quick and humane kills but for the continued existence of our sport. This is why when bag limits are liberal and game animals scarce, hunter themselves must refrain from always taking home their limit. When conditions warrant a caliber larger than minimum, hunters themselves must say "I need the best gun, not what's the cheapest to shoot".

In areas of high game populations and folks with minimal access to expendable income, there always seems to be less minimal requirements, less restrictions and more ways to take game.......as it should be. Still the hunter must do and use what is most effective in their own scenario, while respecting their quarry and helping to perpetuate the species.