caliber question

smoakingun

I just bought a sporterized 1917, but I am unsure of the chambering. I don't think it is 30-06 because the I can't load less than 2 rounds in the magazine.
So, what I need to know is what I can use to make some kind of casting of the chamber, and barrel.

PetahW

Use cerro-safe, from Brownell's - they have a tutorial.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=384

If you remove your bolt, and insert a .30-06 case head onto the boltface under the extractor, you can see if the face was enlarged for a belted magnum case.

The .30-06 would just fit, but if there's a wide clearance, the chances are good that the rifle's been at least rechambered.

I would also use the Cerro-safe to slug the barrel/muzzle inside diameter.

smoakingun

ar15chase, nope, that's not the one, but it did come from gunbroker. I'll try the cerro-safe, from Brownell's thanks

"because the I can't load less than 2 rounds in the magazine."

:confused:

What happens if you try to load fewer than two rounds in the magazine?

Do they pop out?

a7mmnut

The original .30-06 mag held six rounds and was big enough for magnum cartridges to fit in, so many were rechambered for several other calibers. It should be well stamped on the barrel, receiver rear tang, or the bottom of the magazine. The spring would have to be shortened for fatter cartridges, thus making the '06 fit very loosely. The bolt face would also have to be enlarged and a different extractor installed. Just measure across the face of the bolt. Standard cartridges like the '06 require a fit for a .473" rim, whereas magnums require a .532" fit. The .308 Norma Mag. is about .530".

-7-

smoakingun

the bore appears to be .30, the only marks on the barrel are standard ordinance marks, but the chamber could have been resmed to something else

You need to measure the bolt face and do a chamber cast to see what you have.

It sounds as if the magazine feed lips have been altered.