caliber help...

onlybrowning

I have decided I am going to get another Browning A bolt soon. I want short action, and will use it mostly for open timber woods hunting. Shots can be quite long, but are usually from 50-120 yds. I had a .308 in an A bolt, and the twist was only 1:12. I had no luck getting really great accuracy in anything heavier than 150 grains.

So, I guess what I am asking is-What short action caliber in an A bolt would you want that is bigger than say .284 and will shoot a 180 grain bullet accurately? I am thinking either .300WSM loaded to about 30-06 velocity, or a 325WSM at 30-06 velocity.

onlybrowning

Nope I'm not Japanese, but in my opinion and experience, they are the best damn rifle in the price range. I do not want a 30-06 'cause it's a long action. If you read the post more carefully grasshopper you would see that I specified short action. Thanks for the help though. Anyone care to offer some real help?

mrawesome22

I did not make any suggestion on a cartridge. I just stated that .30-06 was mentioned twice in your post. And limiting yourself to a short action, larger than .284 Browning only rifle will be a challenge. .300WSM and larger are the only ones I can think of. And why do you need that much gun for 50-120yds? I'd stick with the .308Win. Sounds like you got a lemon. Most .308Win are very accurate.

onlybrowning

Sorry to have sounded arrogant to you. I apologize. I was hoping to be able to have a true dual purpose gun, used for deer, with the possibility of loading it to normal specs for bigger game on future trips. I can't afford to buy two of them, unfortunately. I just thought that a 300WSM or 325WSM may be still be accurate with a reduced load for around home, then could be loaded to published specs for it's real intended use. I already have the optics for the gun (Leupold VXIII 2.5-8X36) I know I am being very confusing, but please bare with me.
Looking at load data, the lowest pressure levels and velocities comes from H-4831 or H-4350 (with 180gr.), in both calibers showing pressures around 52,000psi-53,000psi. Around the same as my .270 IIRC. these loads are also about at about 2700fps in a 23" barrel.

Basically I am looking for .338 federal ballistics (Browning isn't chambering it) with the possibilty of loading to WSM specs as well. :confused:

cheygriz

Since the .308 with 150-165 grain bullets is adequate for anything in N.A., why not stick with it?

The .308, 150 grain Barnes "X" bullet will out penetrate anyone else's 180 grainer if you're going after elk or moose.

Last edited:

onlybrowning

Yeah you do have a point. I believe you about a 150 grain x bullet outpenetrating a common 180 grainer, but I can't afford to shoot x bullets. I love the Nosler Ballistic tip, and would really like to shoot a 180 grain NBT at about 2700fps (not possible with thte .308 with a 22" barrel (plus my A bolt wouldn't shoot a 180 NBT accurately with numerous powders). I would like to load it to higher pressures for longer range shooting, but keep it slow for home. I love the .308, but the A blt has a slow 1:12 twist rate.

So, anyone load any of the .300 magnums to lower pressures with a 180 grain bullet and get good accuracy. I would imagine some 175 gr. match loads are on the lower velocity side.

Iwould load it too normal pressure levels, but I have seen most hunters have less than perfect (IMO) results with shooting deer with a .300 magnum at close ranges. The deer seem to act like they were hit with an arrow not a bullet.

Note: For what its worth, every single deer I have shot with my .270 with a 130 NBT with 59.0 gr. of H-4831 out of a 22" A bolt has not taken a step. Even with less than "perfect" shot placement.

44 AMP

Staff
Cheaper than a new rifle

Consider having your .308 rebarreled. You should be able to get the twist you want (1-10?) and maybe even go to a 24" tube (for better MV) and have the work done cheaper than a whole new rifle.

How's the weather in Saratoga?

Is the Southern Zone still shotgun only?

I used to live in the area, but left about 30 years ago. Still have family back there somewhere.

Limeyfellow

+1 on 44amp. It be best if you just get the rifle rebarrelled for a fraction of the cost with a 24-26 inches long with a 1-10 twist and then you be able to use the heavier and lighter bullets just fine with the same rifle with added speed and accuracy. Downside would be the little bit of added weight.

taylorce1

If you want .338 Federal have one built on a A-Bolt receiver since they don't chamber one. I don't know if you will get near the published velocities out of a .338 Federal once you start reloading the cartridge. I don't know if special non-canister powders are being used to get the velocities they are publishing on their ballistics page. But everyone deserves a custom built rifle at least once in their life.

I kind of of beleive if you want .30-06 performance buy a .30-06. I don't think loading a WSM down to .30-06 performance is the way to go JMO again. I agree with you on the price of Barnes, it makes it very hard to practice with what they are asking you to pay.

I was going to go along and recomend a rebarrel of your .308 to a 1 in 10 as well utill I read you "had" a .308 A-Bolt.

Last edited:

FirstFreedom

Sounds like the perfect reason to get a .338 federal - you'll be able to get fine accuracy with 180s & up if Browning chambers a gun in this new round.

onlybrowning

Thanks guys. I can't rebarel the .308 since I sold it to my friend as a favor (and a christmas present from his girl. He has been down on his luck a little lately). Anywho, I don't have the money for a new Browning (or used one) rebarreled. I can only afford to buy one new or used in a factory loading. I am now thinking 7mmWSM because it is close to 30-06 with similar weight bullets, and it is short action. I would buy another .308, but I just can't. My buddy would know that I only sold the gun as a favor and would be embarassed. I appreciate your help, keeop it comin.

onlybrowning

To 44 AMP. A lot of Southern zone is shotgun only still, but not around here. I only hunt in Northern zone (usually really Northern zone). The weather has been great for the deer. No real snow accumulations as of yet. It has been really cold the last week or so, with below zero temps, but that is nothing compared to when you lived here 30 years ago.

You could definately relate to my needs in a hunting rifle if you hunted in the Adirondacks at all. You know that it is mountainous, but it is often possible in the old woods to get a 200+ yard shot. Kinda need an all around gun.

BUGS BUNNY

:confused: I dont get it, whats with the <Art's deleted posts> non-sense?

I can say Browning is an awesome company from first hand experience dealing with them, they went out of their way to repair a rifle for me, I would not get the same results from Remington thats for sure.

I have one Browning shotgun & its a well made fit & finish a reliable gun.

I have had many Weatherby Jap built rifles & again quality wise awesome.

This is not a political forum & rifle performance should not be based on political opinion :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jseime

Politics aside I think that the japanese turn out some of the finest quality products in the world. Why do you think Ford and GM are on the rocks so bad. Browning is a respected and famous company. When you pick up one of their guns and look it over its pretty hard to find a non-custom gun that looks and feels that good. So if it came from Japan I dont care I like high quality stuff.

Sorry about that rant, instead of a .30 or bigger caliber what would be wrong with a 7mm-08 or a .260 Remington. Both are good rounds for big game and short actions. You cant beat the BC of a 6.5mm or 7mm bullet either.

onlybrowning

You are right sir, I just want to hunt with the best rifle I can. At least the company is American, right? I still drive two GM's and one Ford. 7mmWSM or .270WSM is probably the way I will go.