Caliber dilemma

Blade37db

Up until this point, I standardized my collection of semis going with only 9mm. The reasons: ammo was cheaper and increased capacity (ex. G19) vs other calibers.

Now I live in a state (CT) where I can only carry 10 rounds (I can keep my mags that hold > 10 rounds, just can't carry them).

I took my brother to buy his first handgun (just got his permit) and he brought up a great point: why stick with 9mm when you are restricted to 10 rounds anyway? Case in point: he opted for a S&W M&P in .45 which holds 10 rounds.

I can't argue with the point that having 10 rounds of .45 is possibly better than 10 rounds of 9mm.

I'm not a big fan of owning too many calibers (I have 9mm and .38/.357 for handguns now), but should I be considering a change (or adding) to .45?

Last edited:

RockDTMC

I've always tried to limit the calibers that I buy. 99% of all of my handguns are 9mm and .45. I stick mainly with 9mm because of price and availability. Since capacity isn't a factor for you anymore, I don't see the problem adding to the calibers that you have.

RX-79G

This is part of the reason single stacks became so popular during the Crime Bill era. With a 10 round max you can go big on the caliber or small on the gun.

Bob Wright

I've always felt very comfortable with five rounds of .44 Special.

Limint yourself to one caliber? How dull. I've been through nearly a dozen different calibers, and currently shoot .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt, plus a little .22 L.R.

Can't imagine sticking with one caliber.

Bob Wright

Noreaster

I'm a big advocate of 9mm but it's so hard to find where I live. 40S&W and 45acp are always on the shelf. The 45acp is a joy to shoot and I've heard great things about the M&P45. Go for it.

Plus you don't have to worry about mixing the ammo up, they aren't even close.

RBid

I carry 9mm primarily because I can put hits on target faster with it than I can with .40, .357 SIG, or .45 in similarly sized pistols. If my state implemented a magazine capacity restriction, I would still carry my Glock 19 Gen 4.

If I were able to dump hits on target as quickly with other calibers, I'd carry my Glock 23 Gen 4. Can't quite do it, and I'm waaaay better single handed with the 19, so... There it is.

This is all to say, the way to go will always be with what you shoot best (at real defensive speeds).

Hal

I took my brother to buy his first handgun (just got his permit) and he brought up a great point: why stick with 9mm when you are restricted to 10 rounds anyway?
Is it 1994 or 2014?

Anyhow - that's pretty much what caused the last resurgence of the 1911/.45acp.

Water-Man

Buy a M&P45 Full Size or Mid Size. They accommodate a ten round magazine or a fourteen round magazine.

They're a pleasure to hold and shoot and they're dependable.

Model12Win

In your situation, I would buy a .45 ACP handgun. If you aren't using the gun to conceal and carry that is. In that case, a Glock 30S is about the smallest package you're going to get a 10 round magazine .45. You might be better off with a G26 or something, more concealable but 10 rounds of 9mm is nothing to sneeze at. No way Jose!

If it's just a home defense or SHTF type pistol were concealbility isn't the most important thing, then yes, I would choose a .45 ACP gun.

BigJimP

I choose to carry a full sized 1911 ( 5" barrel ) in .45 acp ( 8 + 1 capacity ) - but capacity isn't the issue ....because I train to keep my reloading skills reasonably sharp ( draw - and double tap - reload - double tap ) in under 5 sec...for mid level ability shooters is pretty easy to maintain.

But if I chose to carry a full sized 1911 ( 5" barrel ) in 9mm ...( 10 +1 capacity ) it wouldn't bother me either - especially with a good defensive cartridge in it ...like 147 gr hollow points...they will do the job just fine !
----
You should buy - and carry - whatever you want / but no, you don't have to give up the 9mm if you don't want to.

Most all of the big name instructors around, in my experience ---- will tell you its way more about shot placement / than caliber -- or capacity.

Theohazard

Me, I would still stick with 9mm even if I were restricted to 10 rounds only. In real-life shootings there is almost zero measurable difference between 9mm, .40, and .45; what really matters is shot placement. And because of the lower recoil, I can shoot a 9mm a little bit faster and with more accuracy for any follow-up shots. Because of that, it makes the 9mm a more effective round for me.

SansSouci

Theohazard,

There's a huge difference in cartridges.

Blade,

I can understand your logic in going with one cartridge. But were it me, I'd go with .45 ACP.

I'd rather have 8 rounds of .45 ACP than any amount of 9MM.

Bob Wright,

The .44 Special is an excellent self-defense cartridge.

Snyper

I'd stick with what you have since you obviously bought a gun you liked

A double stack 45 will be much wider than a double stack 9, and while there may be a difference in cartridge performance, shot placement means more

SansSouci

Snyper,

Placement is a wish where a bad guy is aiming for the same thing.

To my way of looking at gunfighting, if it can't be avoided, the next most important criterion is not getting shot. If a good guy is taking time for precise aim, he makes himself a better target for a bad guy. And if the good guy dies, he loses regardless of what happens to the bad guy.

Shooting targets has zero applicability to tactical shooting.

Blade37db said:
I can't argue with the point that having 10 rounds of .45 is possibly better than 10 rounds of 9mm.

I'm not a big fan of owning too many calibers (I have 9mm and .38/.357 for handguns now), but should I be considering a change (or adding) to .45?
Although there may be some merit to the notion that .45 is "better" than 9mm for self defense, much depends on which .45 and which 9mm. Ten rounds is ten rounds, and there are some decent self defense ammunitions available in 9mm.

I know I would not volunteer to let someone shoot me ten times with a 9mm anything, not even plain vanilla 115-grain FMJ. I think it would definitely ruin my day.