Caliber choice in varied environments

corsair

Many of our posters have the option of choosing which weapons to go into harms way with. Which calibers do you prefer applied to specific environments?

5.56 and 45ACP, in urban or long-distance stretches. Higher rate of fire and smaller weapon design can be afforded. M4 system provides configuration versatility for urban usage and light weight design allows easier man portability of weapon and ammo.

7.62, in heavy vegitation, cold weather, or open terrain. A heavy round to punch through layered clothing as well as obstructing plant life. Open terrain allows longer distance shots to be made.

I'd like to hear the merits of other points as this develops.

Paul K

9mm 45 or 10mm in urban for pistol
5.56 for urban for rifle (must be semi auto- like an ar)
308 for longer distance shooting, because it is an all around good cartrage.

ronin308

My choice of caliber will not differ for environments, but my choice of rifle would. In urban areas I would want a .308 so I can punch through cover. In open areas, .308 still wins. For handguns .357 mag,10mm, 40 S&W, 9x19, 45 ACP...whatever as long as it shoots well and is reliable.

Dan

Lennyjoe

Dont think I'd be to confident using anything smaller than a 9MM up north in the winter when its cold. With all the layered clothing I would think penetration would suffer for say a .32 or .380. I know that will get a few of you stewing but thats just my thoughts of course.