Caliber and brand

B-Shot

New to the forum and new to shooting again (maybe 50 rounds downrange over a 25yr period) but put about 500rounds downrange this month. Looking to start a small pistol collection. I want a .45, .357/38, .44mag, 380 and maybe a.40. I have a Eagle MR9 already because I couldn't find a P99 for a fair price.
When I see .45 I think Colt 1911
When I see .357 I think of a S&W revolver.

I dont have a revolver,1911, or hammer fired.
So what brand or action type per caliber?

tallball

How much are you wanting to spend? There are basic, inexpensive, functional models of each. Or you can spend $1,000 plus.

Spats McGee

Administrator
Welcome to TFL, B-Shot!

We'll be much better able to help you if you'll give us some idea of your budget. There are lots of good choices in the categories you named (revolver,1911, or hammer fired), so you'll have a lot of fun deciding. Also, in the 1911 and hammer fired categories, do you have a caliber preference?

B-Shot

Budget is about $600 per but the 1911 may be higher. I know the 1911 is hammer fired but in the hammer fired option I was thinking a Sig, Beretta 92 or 96 or a USP.

g.willikers

Every one who replies will have a different opinion.
So, you better take a seat, as this will take some time.
In the final analysis, they can only tell you what they prefer, not what you might.
The best approach is to try as many models, shapes and calibers as possible.
Preferably other people's guns.
Saves a lot of tedious cleaning.
If you can use their ammo, too, that's a welcome bonus.
So, having a lot of generous shooting pals helps a lot.

DaleA

I'll play.

.45 ACP---Springfield Armory Range Officer because it’s a good solid 1911 style with stuff I want (like adjustable sights, nice trigger, good accuracy) and no extra stuff driving up the price.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-range-officer-45-acp/

.357/.38---S&W 686 You might be one of those folk that just won’t be satisfied if your collection does NOT have a nice S&W revolver and a 686 or 586 is a VERY nice revolver.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-686

.357/.38---Ruger GP100 If you don’t HAVE to have an S&W this will save you some money and it is a VERY nice revolver too.
http://ruger.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/models.html

.44 magnum---Ruger Redhawk because I think it will stand up better than an S&W model 29.
http://ruger.com/products/redhawk/models.html
http://ruger.com/products/superRedhawk/overview.html

.44 magnum---But wait! If you want to satisfy your inner cowboy get a Ruger Super Blackhawk single action.
http://ruger.com/products/newModelSuperBlackhawk/overview.html

.380---Ruger LCP because they were $200 just a couple weeks ago at Cabelas (of all places).

.40---Oh go ahead and get a Glock. See what I care. Find out what all the hubbub is about. (or get a nice CZ.)
https://us.glock.com/products/all
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-b-9mm-black-16-rd-mag/

Please note that I disregarded your price limit on all my selections because where’s the fun in that?

Good luck.

ammo.crafter

I need more

As has been suggested, try as many guns as you can.

Concentrate on one gun at a time and narrow down your choices over time.

Do not rush this process and look into used handguns as well.

Have fun
:cool:

tallball

For 38/357 the favorites are probably a S&W L-frame or a Ruger GP-100. My personal favorite of many is my single-action Ruger Blackhawk.

There are quite a few entry-level 1911's available in the $350-$400 range which function just fine. Personally I would be willing to pay a little more for larger sights than the basic GI model comes with. Other than that, the basic model is all I need. Rock Island Armory is probably the most common inexpensive 1911. My FiL got an awesome Metro Arms model with nice sights and a few other "extras" for $360, but that was super lucky.

In 44 magnum the most-recommended would probably be the S&W Model 29 (or whatever it's called these days) or the Ruger Redhawk. I personally prefer my single-action Ruger Super Blackhawk, but I REALLY like single-action revolvers.

I have a bunch of 380's. For CC an LCP or P3AT is extremely convenient. Just for shooting, the Beretta 84 is very nice. I prefer my CZ83 by a small margin. My very favorite is tbe Colt Government 380, pretty much a mini 1911. They were made in the 90's and have very low recoil due to steel construction and firing from a locked breech.

My favorite 40 is a 1911. My second favorite is my Beretta 96 - it is pretty much the US military pistol, but in 40 caliber. I very much prefer my 40's to be steel-framed, or at least alloy-framed.

Some of these pistols, such as the two Berettas and the CZ83, are readily available as police/military surplus. Those tend to be carried a lot and shot seldom. I got all three as surplus and paid something like $220, $300, and $330 for them. CDI Sales on Gunbroker is a great source for things like that.

Last edited:

Targa

I am not trying to simplify this to the point of sounding like a smart ***, that's not at all my intention. In reference to .357 and .45acp, if you see S&W for the .357 a 686 is a great choice, if you see .45acp as a Colt 1911, then get a Colt 1911. This might be to strong of a statement but I have yet to hear any one trade off these firearms for something else once they have them.
For .44mag, that just screams single action revolver.

T. O'Heir

Hi. You looking for collector pieces or firearms for shooting? Isn't the same thing.
Your 1911, for instance, can be a W.W. I vintage collector's piece or a 1911A1 from W.W. II collector's piece or a current commercial handgun. Prices for each are very different. You'll not find either of the former for $600. Won't get a new Colt 1911A1 either. Springfield Range Officers are currently on sale at Cabela's starting at $650.
Otherwise, the fit of any handgun to your hand is critical. Too small can usually be fixed with a change of grips. Too big, usually cannot. You really do have to go try a bunch on for size.

"Collection" implies some consideration of long-term value, as well as some sort of "authenticity" (whatever that means to you. Therefore:

.45 ACP---The only possible choice here is a Colt 1911. Browning designed both the .45 ACP and the M1911 at the same time. The pistol was developed around that cartridge, and and Colt was the original manufacturer as well as the patent holder. There are other decent 1911s on the market, and some very fine ones (in the $2,000 to $5,000 price range( but, for a first .45 ACP in a "collection," IMHO it has to be a Colt. I'd suggest a Series 70 as being the closest current model to the original. If you can find a pre-owned WW1 reproduction (Colt Model O1911 or O1918), that would be even better.

.357/.38---S&W for sure, but I don't know enough about them to know what model.

.44 magnum---Ruger Blackhawk

.380---Colt Mustang. There are newer .380s that are cheaper and lighter, but hardly anything I'd consider as a start of a collection. (In fact, I also would consider the newer ones for carry. Don't care for plastic guns.)

.40---CZ-40B if you can find one.

Prof Young

Rock Island is okay . . .

I have a "plain Jane" variety Rock Island 1911 45 ACP. It's fun to shoot. Was less than $400 on sale, and is easily more accurate than I am. Although it did teach me about "hammer bite." That's my two cents worth.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Model12Win

Don't overlook the 9x18mm Makarov PM:

20161127_124215.jpg

These are available for $300 and are one of the best options out there for the price for either a range gun or a concealed carry gun. No true gun collection is complete without a Makarov PM.

osbornk

I bought my one and only 1911 through Gallery of Guns for just under $500 out the door. It is a 9mm full size RIA Tactical 1 (now known as the Rock standard). It is very accurate, easy to shoot, economical to shoot and has never had a malfunction. I had planned on getting this gun and if I liked the 1911, to upgrade. I love my 1911 and I don't have a desire to upgrade. I don't think an upgrade would benefit me other than for bragging rights.

Boncrayon

I tried multiple 1911 brands and settled for the quality and price on the Magnum Research Dessert Eagle in 1911. The trigger alone out of the box is worth the other more expensive brands. No rattle when shaken, and no trigger travel on the squeeze. Made in Israel.

lefteye

Welcome aboard B-Shot. While I have (and had) a few 1911 .45ACP pistols, I've never touched one from Rock Island Armory. Nevertheless, I believe they have a good reputation for reliability and they are certainly less costly than most reputable brands. I have several Ruger firearms (handguns and rifles) and recommend a Ruger GP100 .357. They are available blued or stainless in several barrel lengths.