CAI receiver in an M1 Garand

Rome

I came across four M1 Garands at a local, well known gun shop yesterday. Each of them had a CAI receiver retrofitted into them. I've read about the CAI receivers here and in the magazines a few times and the reviews of the CAI receivers were always poor. The shop owner said that if I wanted a shooter, the CAI was just fine. The price seemed reasonable: under $500. New barrels, too. The question is who is correct? Are the CAI receivers any good or should I hold out for an M1 with another receiver? I don't absolutely have to have an M1 today, but I'd hate to pass up an opportunity, especially with the scarcity and the prices most M1s are demanding today. I do want a shooter and not a collector gun. Any info or honest opinions will be appreciated.
Rome

Destructo6

I question the quality of these receivers. Maybe they're good, maybe they're not.

If you want an excellent quality M1 Garand at a reasonable price ($425 shipped to your door), you have to take advantage of the Civillian Marksmanship Program (CMP). Hurry, though because the price goes up $100 in June. The 2 M1s that my father and I ordered were perfectly serviceable and in the condition promised. That, and they're the real deal.

Check out www.odcmp.com for the full story and downloadable forms so you can get the ball rolling ASAP.

We've really covered this topic thoroughly elsewhere, so you might try a search for "cmp" or similar to find the other threads.

Derek Zeanah

Click here to see the results of an inspection Fulton Armory did on one of these receivers. Then head on over to the CMP web page listed above.

------------------
Yes, we did produce a near perfect republic, but will they keep it, or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. -- Thomas Jefferson

Why pay $500 for a Garand with a dubious receiver when you can buy a real gubmint one from CMP for $400? Buy it from your gubmint and help preserve a Garand!