Cabin fever anyone?

9ballbilly

So I loaded the .32 S&W long shotshells with the kits from Sage Outdoors.

While I was doing that I started thinking it would be fun to step outside the box and order a barrel for my gen 1 contender in .218 Mashburn Bee...…

What unusual projects are Y'all contemplating during this unusual Spring?

BobCat45

Nothing unusual or even interesting (to anyone else), but I've spent some time prepping .223 brass for Midrange Prone and XC matches for the rest of the year. And 30-06 brass for the 4 Garand matches scheduled this year, the first of which should be end of May.

But so far all matches cancelled through at least this month. Range was shut down for a couple weeks, reopened now with 'social distancing' in force, and pick up your brass and take your targets and trash home.

Just realized I'm posting this in the wrong forum - you posted in General Handgun - so to redeem myself I'll add that I put together a backstop made of sand-filled cat litter buckets out back, and have been shooting my S&W Model 17-3 to try to keep in some kind of trigger-control practice. It is a marvelous .22LR revolver and the sand seems to contain the bullets just fine. The plastic buckets are more brittle than I thought so they will need replacing but the sand can be salvaged and reused, and the .22 bullets saved for maybe casting in the future, but it will take a long time to collect enough for that.

stinkeypete

My oddball contemplation is loading TWO 80 grain wadcutters in to .38 special brass, maybe with a tag board wad between them.

If accuracy is good with both little wadcutters it could quiet down people that object that revolvers don’t have enough capacity since my five is really ten!

It might be fun against tin cans and it might get some of the highest scores ever next winter at bullseye league!

I’m also curious how the runty short cylinders fly solo.

TXAZ

;) I keep dreaming of setting up a shooting range in the backyard. But the dream seems to keep ending with the cops showing up after the first shot and all the neighbors running back in their homes.
;)

Bill DeShivs

Working on a home made sword cane, just because I like them.
Putting tritium side markers on the neck of my favorite bass guitar.
Setting up a Blink security system.
Waiting for an awning to arrive tomorrow for the back door.
Put a new bottle of propane on the gas grill.
Working on knives in the shop, as usual.
Spending entirely too much money online.
And looking at a Star Super S .380 project, wondering if I REALLY want to start engraving it.

Hal

My oddball contemplation is loading TWO 80 grain wadcutters in to .38 special brass, maybe with a tag board wad between them.
IIRC - Elmer Keith did some experimentation with duplex loads.
Over the years, there have been all sorts of oddball things done along those lines.
Possibly the strangest I ran across - and I don't even begin to remember who it was that did it - involved threading the flash hole and screwing in a tiny hollow metal tube that would direct the primer flash to the front of the powder charge. so that it burned from front to back - instead of back to front.
Fun & funny stuff! :) .

jpx2rk

Nothing unusual I guess but I'm in process of re-barreling a RAR and a 783 over to a 20P and a 6x45. Think I have all the "stuff" I need to accomplish it, but it wouldn't surprise me to hit a snag or two. LOL

No cabin fever. Going out as often as before, to ride bike with wife, then jog, maybe drive to Shelby Farms.
Or go to nearby private shooting club, which Reopened a week ago.:)

Sunday the most unexpected possibility took place.
Called a gun friend an hour away, and he said that he Had (then) a S&W 5609! I first learned about the overall series of >> classic, heavy metal S&W 9mms only days ago <<.:eek:, at age 64.

Nice that he decided on the spot to sell it, an hour from here. Our six gun deals began with an Armslust...eh...Arms List ad a few years ago.

The entire house roof was replaced Today, because USAA Insurance automatically includes coverage....due to Hail Damage.
Thank God a repair guy next door noticed the loose shingles over a week ago.

* Note: some insurance claims must be made within One Year :eek: of a familiar weather event. That policy made This news a Very close call. ----Don't be complacent about random, visual inspections-----.

Last edited:

bummer7

Finished assembling an annealing setup. I started this project last October but kept getting side tracked due to other projects and chores. Sheltering-in-place for several weeks seemed to be a good time to finish this project.

Attachments

• front view-1.jpg
    front view-1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Oblique view.jpg
    Oblique view.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 20

Don P

Staying at a friends house temporarily so nothing to get involved in. If I clean the few guns with me anymore I'll remove the finish. Dry fire is all that I can do now, and something that can't hurt. Big adventure is going from holding down the couch (Pee Wee's big adventure) to the kitchen to have lunch. :D

kozak6

Wow Bill, I didn't know you played music. What kind of music do you like to play? A while back, I got a super cheap Yamaha bass and a headphone amp from the pawn shop but things have been so busy I never got around to messing around much with them. I probably should.

My job is "essential", so things aren't much different for me except that everything is closed after work.

I've got some potential projects (wallhanger-grade Mosin refinish, incomplete police surplus 870) but shooting means a long drive or an unpleasant indoor range.

What I would like to do is get an air pistol quiet enough to shoot in a small apartment without disturbing my neighbors.

Bill DeShivs

Kozak6,
Memphis-style R&B is probably my favorite, but I play most anything besides jazz.
Not much playing music going on now, and it doesn't look like the future is too bright.