Cabella's "Old Silver" finish?

JACKlangrishe

Hey Everyone!!

Anyone have experience with the Old Silver finish on the CnB revolvers at Cabella's? I like the silver look that a lot of the real old guns had, and the modern bluing never really did it for me. I was thinking about antiquing a blued gun, which I'm sure isn't easy, when I saw the new Old Silver finish on the Pietta revolvers, but no reviews on any of them. Also, not many videos online, except for a few in languages I don't speak.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!!

JACKlangrishe

Thanks for the info!! Dodged the ball on that one thanks to you!
Also great to save that extra cash.

..Speaking of which.. any input on what to expect from Cabela's for Black Friday/Thanksgiving/Cyber Monday Sales? Do they usually discount specific revolvers? or do they offer those Harbor Freight style "25% off everything!" promos?

I wish they sold cap n ball revolvers at Harbor Freight!

BlackPowderBen

Cabelas at black friday times up through Christmas, has had great sales. This could possibly be their last year for sales, and having a large supply of black powder revolvers, since Bass Pro Shops bought them out, but who knows. They discount specific guns, and sometimes have a 10% off coupons and such. I'm looking forward to the sales, I might need a gun I didn't know I needed until then lol!

Sarge

I have an 1860 that is devoid of finish. I had a few rust posts appearing almost overnight until I steel wooled it and applied a coat of .WD40 Long-Term Corrosion Inhibitor

It's a tad slimy but it is by far the best corrision inhibitor I've used. I've stored this revolver in the humidity of a closed in back porch for a couple of months since the application and no rust has appeared. It is just the stuff for no-finish gun metal.

foolzrushn

Cabela's sale

There are four on sale now. The 1858 steel, 1858 SS Target, G&G and Buffalo. Don't know if other places are having sales or not.

It's possible Cabela's will have fewer and less sales if the BassPro mindset is higher prices and more profit. Could go the other way too, if they decide to clearance BP.

I was in a Cabela's where the BP pistol display had been moved to a less prominate place. Don't know if that means something. :confused:

If you're looking...think it's best to get their emails to keep track.

JACKlangrishe

I just missed the sale on the one I'm eyeing.. didn't have the funds available =(

I'm in a better position now to pull the trigger... Just waiting to get lucky again and spot it on sale, or wait for a holiday sale.

JACKlangrishe

Also, I'm assuming there are no issues using Cabela's gift cards when purchasing cap and ball revolvers online.. Is that correct? I know some gift cards have limitations on what you can actually purchase with them.

PolarFBear

Slightly off topic but need some input. Cabella's is just over the VA line; if I go to my cabin in GA it's just over the GA line. Tennessee is out of luck for hand guns from Cabella's . Do black powder pistols fall under the same rules as smokeless firearms? I was at the VA Cabella's earlier in the week. They had a nice selection of B/P. The prices seemed very reasonable, except for the imitation Colt Walker. If they offer an incentive for Black Friday then my wallet IS ready. Oh, the Bass Pro is only 6 miles south of Cabella's so I "shopped" there as well: no B/P and not nearly the selection of firearms. Reloading supplies were also scarce. I will miss Cabella's if they are closed.

Hellgate

A lot of plated C&Bs tend to be brass framed. It would be good to know it the guns in question are steel or brass under that shiny surface.

BravoWhiskey

I just bought a '58 New Army "Old Silver" at Cabela's for $309. It is a steel Frame. I'll report back with what I think of the finish when I receive it next week, maybe post a pic.