Cabelas Trade In Value

jmar

I bought a gun from Cabelas a few years ago and put only 30 rounds through it, it was about $600 if i recall. Do any of you have experience with trading in guns there? i'd want at least 500 back. I even put $80 grips on it and still have the originals, would it be best to sell the separately or sell them with the gun?

jmar

I should also mention that the gun is in as new condition with all the original items and box, and it's been cleaned and oiled since i shot it. Just don't even want to waste my time by going there if they'll offer me like $300.

Don't know what Cabelas would offer you, but you can get a fair approximation of the value of your firearm by checking Gunbroker and/or Armslist to see what similar models are selling for LNIB (Like New In Box). :cool:

lamarw

It really does not matter what we think or say to you. You know what you need to get out of it.

Lets say you get $500 for it. If you pay full MSRP for the new gun, then you are not getting $500 for the trade-in. Just like if you trade-in a used car and pay full MSRP on the new one. Just Saying~

jmar

Don't know what Cabelas would offer you, but you can get a fair approximation of the value of your firearm by checking Gunbroker and/or Armslist to see what similar models are selling for LNIB (Like New In Box).
But wouldn't i be offered less since Cabelas needs to make a profit?

jmar

It really does not matter what we think or say to you. You know what you need to get out of it.

Lets say you get $500 for it. If you pay full MSRP for the new gun, then you are not getting $500 for the trade-in. Just like if you trade-in a used car and pay full MSRP on the new one. Just Saying~
I'm just trying to learn from peoples past experiences to know if it's worth while. I'm not trying to trade in for store credit or a trade i want cash, i hope they even do that...

kilimanjaro

What you paid for it means nothing. The gun is used, and they will offer less than half of it's market value, the difference being their overhead and profit.

You'll get the most for it in a private sale.

Put the spare grips on Ebay or include with purchase.

jmar

What you paid for it means nothing. The gun is used, and they will offer less than half of it's market value, the difference being their overhead and profit.

You'll get the most for it in a private sale.

Put the spare grips on Ebay or include with purchase.
Boggles my mind that people even sell guns there if they're offered less than half its value...

Dashunde

What is the gun?
Maybe put it up for sale here and bypass Cabela's, pawn/gun shops altogether?

I sold a CZ here a few years ago, it was pretty easy...
Read up on the specifics (basically collect new owner info drop it off at your FFL to be shipped to another FFL for pickup, IIRC.)
And shoot good photos of everything, including feed ramp, mags, slide & rails to help it sell quickly.

1stmar

Very few new guns appreciate in value. If you paid $600 you won't get $500 for it. Your first guess of $300 is probably closer to the mark. They will sell it for $500-$525.

jmar

What is the gun?
Maybe put it up for sale here and bypass Cabela's, pawn/gun shops altogether?

I sold a CZ here a few years ago, it was pretty easy...
Read up on the specifics (basically collect new owner info drop it off at your FFL to be shipped to another FFL for pickup, IIRC.)
And shoot good photos of everything, including feed ramp, mags, slide & rails to help it sell quickly.
It's a Ruger Vaquero, black with ivory grips. I will sell it online if Cabelas doesn't work out, just thought i'd tread the easy route first.

jmar

Very few new guns appreciate in value. If you paid $600 you won't get $500 for it. Your first guess of $300 is probably closer to the mark. They will sell it for $500-$525.
Maybe i won't even go then, i don't see how a gun with 30 rounds through it can depreciate by more than half. Maybe Cabelas just can afford to lowball people.

campingnights

Cabelas pays in cash for trade in guns, at least in Saginaw, MI. Don't expect to get more than half value. Better to sell on consignment (if you have a gun dealer that does that), or sell it yourself.

jmar

Cabelas pays in cash for trade in guns, at least in Saginaw, MI. Don't expect to get more than half value. Better to sell on consignment (if you have a gun dealer that does that), or sell it yourself.
Guess i wont sell after all, i'll see if i can scrape together other things to sell instead since i need the money. I haven't had enough fun out of it yet to take that kind of loss. Don't really want to sell it online either as it seems like a hassle and i need the money as soon as possible.

Rodentman

With only one exception, I have regretted selling every gun I parted with. Every one. Fortunately I am over that now and plan to keep everything in my collection. Some guns don't get fired for years since I have so many. I don't care. I am nuts.

I've taken way too many losses and that's MY position. YMMV

Cabela's has a well-deserved reputation for charging ridiculously high prices for their firearms, and not being at all flexible on those prices. I have heard fewer reports from people who have traded in guns to Cabela's that they also don't pay much -- so they try to make their money on both ends of the deal.

jmar

With only one exception, I have regretted selling every gun I parted with. Every one. Fortunately I am over that now and plan to keep everything in my collection. Some guns don't get fired for years since I have so many. I don't care. I am nuts.
I'll regret it trust me, but i'm in a situation where i need money not want money unfortunately. Hopefully i can have a collection like that someday, at the moment i only have a few guns and this is by far my gem.

jmr40

I talked to someone at a local Cabelas about purchasing a gun from me. Their policy is to determine how much they can sell it for and offer you 65% of that. I didn't want to sell it that bad. I'd imagine a trade would be very similar.

FWIW, I was very impressed with the knowledge and professionalism of the guy I spoke to. The rifle in question was not common at all. Only a few made during 1 year over 20 years ago and I already pretty much knew the fair value. He spent about 20 minutes researching my rifle and agreed right to the dollar what I already knew. There were no hard feelings when I left. It was a business decision and making 35% profit is just their policy and I didn't want to let it go that low.

Woodslab

I bought a new psa25 for $415 at a gun shop 2 years ago. Tried to sell it at other shops, they wouldn't give me anything decent. Took it to cabelas the guy bought it for 500 and has it in the gun library for 710.

I'm happy, but it seems like they have a gem.

jmar

I talked to someone at a local Cabelas about purchasing a gun from me. Their policy is to determine how much they can sell it for and offer you 65% of that. I didn't want to sell it that bad. I'd imagine a trade would be very similar.

FWIW, I was very impressed with the knowledge and professionalism of the guy I spoke to. The rifle in question was not common at all. Only a few made during 1 year over 20 years ago and I already pretty much knew the fair value. He spent about 20 minutes researching my rifle and agreed right to the dollar what I already knew. There were no hard feelings when I left. It was a business decision and making 35% profit is just their policy and I didn't want to let it go that low.
But my gun is is like new condition i think that the 65% offer should be around 80% at least. Just doesn't seem worth it to lose so much on a gun i used so little. What condition was your gun in?