Cabelas has Uberti Colt Walkers for $349, SHIPPED

maillemaker

Cabela's has Uberti Colt Walkers on sale right now for $349.99, with free shipping when you use the code 3WINTER.

Steve

noelf2

Good price. I often thought about getting one of those until I picked one up. That's one big piece of iron.

maillemaker

LOL, that is precisely the reason to buy one! :D

I ordered one. This price is too good to beat. Normally they run closer to $500, plus shipping.

I can't wait to shoot it with a full load of 60 grains.

Steve

MJN77

maillemaker

I knew about the loading lever problem. I was just going to make a small loop of leather that fits around the barrel and the lever to hold them together during shooting.

Steve

Rigmarol

I put one on my Christmas list and gave it to the wife and family.
She didn't admit it but she didn't make me pick something else so I am sure I'm getting one for Christmas. Yahoo!

I shoot two Colt Dragoons in CAS and use a simple roll of black electrical tape to keep my loading levers up. Easy and you have to look close to see the tape.

I'll do the same thing on the Walker if needed.

9 more days!!!

Rigmarol

Quality?
Expect the gun to work and not fall apart. Beyond that, there will probably be a bit of deburring, slicking, smoothing but that's part of the fun in my experience.

I hear good and bad. Some people are extremely picky and expect perfection at a bargain price. Mostly I've heard good reports from past sales that I couldn't take advantage of.

Quality? I'm hopeful but not overly so.

maillemaker

The general online consensus seems to be that Uberti is a bit higher quality than Pietta. But I own two Piettas (1860, 1858) and they are both pretty good quality to me so far. The fit of the grip on the 1860 is just a hair off from the metal. At half-cock on the 1858 the loading ram did not intially line up with the 6 o'clock chamber - if you spun the cylinder until it "clicked" you could not back it up enough to ram the charge home as the loading ram would hit the cylinder face. However now that it has worn in it loads fine.

This Walker will be my first Uberti.

Steve

Is there a minimum amount of powder to use? I've heard that if the ball isn't rammed all the way to the powder then it might explode. hickok45 said it so I know it's true. I suppose no cap and ball revolver had a loading lever that pushes a ball all the way down the cylinder. How much of a gap is in there?

maillemaker

I have heard that having an air gap can cause problems, but I'm not sure I believe it. I know, though, that it can cause differences is velocity depending on whether the charge is near the bottom of the cylinder or near the bullet.

In any case when shooting under-charges I use Cream of Wheat filler under the ball.

Steve

MJN77

An air gap can cause the cylinder to explode. Just like a gap between powder and ball in a muzzle loading rifle can blow out the barrel. Probably want to avoid that. Most Walker owners "plink" with 40-45 grains of powder. You can use filler or wads to take up the extra room if you have any.

Rigmarol

Air gap is more of an issue in rifles (more powder = problem magnified). Smaller revolvers probably can get away with some gap, larger revolvers may still get away with some gap but it's a know problem, so why push it? Either put enough powder in to seat ball against powder or use a wad or filler.

I've tried Cream of Wheat and Grits and decided for the powder I'm saving I'm cussing about the time it takes to load, so, I load my minimum loads at where the ball touches powder.

Now, if you still want to use the little load, get yourself a nice off the gun cylinder loading press. Skip POS that Bass Pro sells (assume Cabellas sells the same one) and for something like this:

With this you can load as shallow as you like and still get the ball to touch powder.

maillemaker

An air gap can cause the cylinder to explode. Just like a gap between powder and ball in a muzzle loading rifle can blow out the barrel. Probably want to avoid that. Most Walker owners "plink" with 40-45 grains of powder. You can use filler or wads to take up the extra room if you have any.

The biggest reasons I use a filler is this:

You will definitely get variations in detonation, and thus velocity, depending on whether the powder charge is lumped at one end of the cylinder vs. the other, or just laying evenly along the bottom of the cylinder.

I don't remember where in his web site he states this, but MD has chronograph data supporting the above somewhere in his site:

http://www.reloadammo.com/

The second reason I use a filler is so that I can consistently seat the ball to the same depth as close to the mouth of the cylinder as possible. It is thought that by having the ball as close to the rifling as possible it is not moving as fast when it engages the rifling and thus does so in a more controlled manner.

However, both the Pietta and Uberti owner's manuals indicate that the ball should be seated on the powder, so it's probably a good idea to do so.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/uberti_colt_1860_&_remington_1858.pdf

The Pietta manual does, but it covers both rifles and revolvers:
http://www.pietta.it/pdf/Manuale_Avancarica_ENG.pdf

Now, if you still want to use the little load, get yourself a nice off the gun cylinder loading press.

I've got one, and it's nice, particularly for my 1858 where the cylinder comes out so easily. Makes loading much easier and quicker.

Steve