Cabelas Grand Opening - What to Expect?

LewSchiller

We have two Cabela's stores opening next week. Wondering what if any firearm specials they like to run for such an event

LewSchiller

Online they're about the same as Bass Pro whose been here for some time. No bargains there but they do have a nice selection especially in the camping department.

dogtown tom

Agregory1994 You can expect high prices that people are wiling to pay because of the very nice store setting.
I've done numerous transfers for employees of the local Cabelas. Seems their employee discount isn't as good as Bud's price.

DaleA

Well one could HOPE they rounded up some ammunition from somewhere for the Grand Opening.

IMhO empty ammunition shelves would put a giant wet blanket on the event.

FrankenMauser

What to expect?

Chaos.

"Bargain Rage".

Confused, slow, and inept employees.

All sale items sold out before you get in the store.

Massive disappointment at the inflated prices they demand for the 'privilege' of seeing their decor.

They usually run some discounts on a semi-auto .22 (Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22).
They usually have some kind of Winchester Wildcat .22 ammo 'on sale' by the pallet-load.
They'll probably have Federal Fusion ammo or Remington Express ammo 'on sale'.
And, they'll have some kind of special going on for the Cabela's Visa (extra points for signing up at the grand opening, or something similar).

Glenn E. Meyer

Cabela's are expensive for firearms - you can score a good sale and hook it up to club points. Otherwise, you can do much better on standard items.

Their firearms clerks are quite variable in knowledge. :rolleyes:

BTW, their cargo pants fall apart very quickly and they don't back them up.

Be careful about sale items - they rarely have enough of them for popular items and then will try to switch you. They ran a sale of SW AR-15s in all their ads when they only had 4 in their whole system nation wide.

They do have good ammo sales periodically.

Pilot

Metro Denver Colorado
They're opening two stores - one south and one north - on August 15th

It's about time. I had to fly up to Sydney, NE to hit a Cabelas when I lived in Denver. I still preferred Sportsmen's Warehouse though.

Savage99

The Cabelas stores are a genuine compliment to our sport.

Their stores are outstanding with good values and fair prices.

I got some of my best guns there and I have been doing this since 1953.

Now there is one near us in CT. :)

dogtown tom

Savage99 The Cabelas stores are a genuine compliment to our sport.
Their stores are outstanding with good values and fair prices.
I got some of my best guns there and I have been doing this since 1953.
Now there is one near us in CT
I could not disagree more.
There are two Cabelas within an hour drive of me. Without question their ammunition, firearm and accessories are significantly higher than Academy or WalMart and still higher than any of our local gun stores. Cabelas seems to cater to those unwilling to research prices before going shopping.

While I do love ogling their gun library, I am amazed at the ridicoulous prices of their firearms.........$200 Mosin Nagants, $560 used Glocks and those were prices before this last panic.

I was given a "Friends & Family" discount card by one of my customers who works for Cabelas...........I left without buying a thing. :rolleyes:

rickyrick

Academy has cabelas beat on price, I've bought most of my guns at academy.

I've looked at lots of guns at cabelas.

Sometimes good ammo price

osirus82

i would just like to see some 8lbs container of powder :rolleyes: or at least a decent selection with no purchase limits, not to mention primers and "heads"

osirus82

no just regular laws, would be nice to buy more than 1lb at a time like at Sportsmans--- thats all, im new to reloading and would like to see stuff the way it used to be. I dont sell anything nor do i really like going to the gun show.